Want to hatch out some eggs in my new homemade bator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by theblackridge16, Dec 14, 2010.

1. theblackridge16

theblackridge16 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Pintura, Utah
    I just need some info on bator hummidity levels, like where they need to be and for how long they need to be at those levels? I read they need to be at 55% but is that for the whole 21 day period?

Also my computer fan went out while I was testing the bator to make sure everything ran good, I was wondering if i could run it as a still air bator or will that not work?

2. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    Humidity levels should be around 50% for the first 28 days and then raised to about 65-70% for the last three days. Also, if you run it as a still air incubator, remember to raise your temps. Forced Air- 99.5 degrees and Still Air- 101.5 degrees. Hope this helps.

3. theblackridge16

Dec 9, 2010
    Pintura, Utah
    It helps alot, thank you very much!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Humidity is really more of an experience thing. I've read it should be 45% for the first 18 days then up to at least 55% for days 18-21. I don't do this, 45% is too high in my incubator. I get a lot of chicks that can't zip because they are too big in the shell.

I usually run mine around 25%-35% days 1-18, then up to 50% or higher until hatch. This is called 'dry' hatching and a lot of people use this. I hatch everything like this except for geese, but I'll probably do geese like this next year since I didn't have much luck with geese this past year. I've had chicks and ducklings hatch at 25% when I've forgotten to move them to the 'hatcher' and they didn't have any troubles.

So my vote is for 35-ish% during incubation then at least 50% for hatching [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  5. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    I used to keep my humidity higher too, like the first post. I had a lot of troubles. Lots of yolks not being absorbed and sticky chicks not being able to get out. You're going to have to allow a trial and error period. I think the humidity levels at your location make a huge difference. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Well, you wouldn't want to keep the humidity in the 60's or higher the whole time, but otherwise the 'no wrong answers' thing works [​IMG]

7. theblackridge16

Dec 9, 2010
    Pintura, Utah
    Thank yall very much I appriciate all the advice! I guess I'll just have to try it out and see what works best for me? Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by