Want to hatch some chicks, but cannot have a rooster.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Peep Peeper, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Peep Peeper

Peep Peeper Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2013
    My 7 year old really wants to hatch some chicks (and so do I), but we absolutely cannot keep a rooster in my neighborhood. Is there any way to sex a fertilized egg? I'm 99% sure the answer is no, but I'm asking anyway out of desperation. Lol.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    No, unfortunately not. Sorry! Would it be possible for you to make some arrangements for any male chicks you do hatch? Someone that can take them and give them a good home?

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I chose eggs to hatch choosing the most beautiful blue round egg ever, hoping for a girl. It was a boy.

4. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    The reason people arent allowed to have roosters is because of the noise.. The good thing about roosters is they are edible.. If he grows up and starts crowing, put him in a pot.. Hatching is awesome, but roosters happen 50% of the time

5. fionnandeburca

fionnandeburca Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Carlow
    No way to sex them. Don't fall for the magnetic sexers on eBay, they don't work

6. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    of course,m Silly. Blue is for boys! You should have hatched a pink egg.

7. fionnandeburca

fionnandeburca Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Carlow
    good one LOL

8. Autumn D

Autumn D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    you could always try to hatch another kind of fowl, maybe ducks or quail? if you really want chickens you could buy pullets when those eggs hatch and put them together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by