1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Want to introduce my First Hatched Chicks. 4 Red Sex Links (Pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rhino533, May 13, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    This was my first hatch. I started with 16 eggs. 5 were duds, 6 died around day 8-10. I have no idea why. 1 died during hatching. The egg got kicked around and the hole the chick made in the egg while hatching was face down and blocked and I believe it didn't get enough air and died. I'm happy to say at least I got 4 healthy/active chicks. I already have another 10 in the incubator and I've learned a lot from the first hatch so hopefully this hatch will be better. The first hatch a lot of the eggs were porus, this time not so bad like the first. I fed my Hen a lot more calcium this time and it defiantly helped. Here are my new little chicks: (3 girls, 1 boy)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Great photos.

3. VkyVky

VkyVky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Ventura County, CA
    Congrats on your beautiful babies [​IMG]

4. gfcm

gfcm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    Aww! Those are gorgeous babies! And three girls!!

5. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Quote:THANKS!!! I feel so lucky to get 3 girls out of the 4. Now lets hope I can get more healthy chicks in my next batch that are already in the incubator (10 Eggs). More girls would be great!!!! LET'S HOPE!![​IMG]

6. gfcm

gfcm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    lol I know what you mean! Are the new ones Red Sex Link too? I was wanting those! I wound up getting all my chicks/hens from the same gal. It was cheaper and easier at the time. I'm sure I'll get some though. My 6 hens are Black Sex Links. That's were the my incubator eggs came from. (2nd generation)

7. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Congrats and they're precious babies! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ConnorMayasMom

ConnorMayasMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Old Chatham, NY
    We just hatched our first tiny flock too!!! Congrats!!! It's the best feeling EVER!!!! [​IMG]:weee

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG] Congrats on your hatch!! They are adorable!

Also, I just wanted to say that I saw you have the chicks on newspaper. Since the newspaper is slippery the chicks can develop a condition called splayed legs. So you might want to line there brooder with something different (pine shavings ect.)

10. matlock585

matlock585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    Wow how lucky to get 3 + 1. I'm building a very small incubator today That might be able to hold a dozen, I'll just have to see how much of the "guts" I can keep on the outside of it. I'm not sure what I'm going to hatch though, as my whole flock is only eight weeks old. But i got a pair of Anconas that I want to have more of, and a trio of speckled sussex that I want as many as I can house. If I get 4 on my first hatch, I'll be ecstatic... We are all gone to work all day.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by