Want to kill my LGD right now...

cyanne

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Cedar Creek, TX
I came home to a very un-welcome, but unfortunately not unfamiliar, sight this evening. I went out to feed my goats and saw feathers all over the ground, which I knew meant that one of my chickens or ducks had to have gotten into the goat pen and become a toy for my stupid Pyr, Bear. He is great with the goats, but he is an absolute JERK when it comes to any of my birds. He is about a year or so old, so still a puppy, and he thinks the chickens and ducks are toys. So far he has only managed to kill one chicken, but he also got hold of my Pekin duck and plucked her nearly bald before I found her and rescued her.

This time the feathers were black, so I went walking around the goat pasture with a flashlight, trying to think of which black chicken he might have gotten, hoping it was not one of my 'special' chickens and that he had not managed to kill this time. I found one of my favorite hens, a beautiful solid black EE named Jellybean, lying next to the goats' hay feeder, her back all red and bloody. I don't know how she was even still alive...

I brought her inside right away to see how bad it is...she is missing the skin down to the muscle from her entire back all the way from between her wings to her tail. I thought the best thing I could probably do would be to put her out of her misery, but I just can't make myself do it. So, I wrapped her all up in gauze and vetwrap and then a towel to try to keep her warm. I don't think she will last the night. So very sad and so very angry right now.

Don't even want to look at that darn dog at the moment. I am debating whether to bother trying to re-train or whether to just re-home him to someone who only has goats, no birds. Thing is that he is pretty valuable as a goat guardian for us because we have a bad coyote problem and without him the coyotes would probably make short work of my Nigis. I have been thinking about trying one of those electric shock training collars on him...thought maybe if I could catch him with one a couple of times when he didn't know it was me, he might associate the unpleasant sensation with the chickens and leave them alone.

I already found that yelling at him does absolutely nothing, he has that stubborn, independent, Pyr attitude. He had a chicken pinned to the ground one day and I went running to the rescue yelling in my scariest voice. Any of my other dogs would have dropped whatever they were doing, but since he's a Pyr, he just looked up with this expression that clearly said he was judging whether I was close enough to stop him in time and went right back to pouncing on the poor chicken. Thankfully that time I got there in time to rescue the poor bird, but Jellybean was on her own today so I'll probably end up losing her. I can't even think about what she went through, probably so scary and painful being pummeled all around and plucked until her skin came off....stupid dog doesn't even bite or try to kill or eat the poor things, he just tortures them for the fun of it.

And, since this was one of my hubby's favorite chickens as well, more of a pet than livestock, he is all torn up and mad, too. I think both of us are trying to remember right now that we love animals and would feel bad if we went along with our current overwhelming desire to turn that stupid mutt into a throw rug.
he.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif

I am so sorry for your losses. The Pyr needs more training without a doubt. At a year old, he is still a puppy and thus puppy stupid. Mine just turned a year old and I can tell you there is no way I would leave him unsupervised with the animals yet....he is too young and inexperienced plus he needs more training. however, I spent nearly 250.00 on an electronic training collar that has a 1/2 mile range and 127 levels of correction. It works fantastic and stopped him from leaving the property boundaries. We are now working on him with the birds.

Take the time to work with him now before he gets the mentality that he can kill one if it comes near the goats and that is okay. Start training him to the property boundaries...so that everything within those boundaries is for him to protect. Work with him and the birds and because of his size and nature...spend the money to get a good electronic collar and use it.

The one I purchased is fabulous and has been worth every penny. Here is a link to it...

Dogtra 1900 NCP

Good luck with him but I think he needs the chance to be trained properly and to mature which will not be for another year...Pyrs do not mature before 2 years of age.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with the above on the training and collar.

Chickens have amazing abilities to recover from wounds. Keep her back clean, keep flies away put her on penicilin to ward off infection from the dog bites, keep her warm and inside, feed extra nutritious foods and gatorade or pedialyte.

Amazingly enough, she was still alive when I checked on her this morning.
th.gif

I gave her a shot of Tylan this morning to ward off infection, and I went to the store and bought a bunch of first aid stuff...found these fancy pads for burns that are made of some kind of gel that keeps the wound moist and doesn't stick. I figure that the best thing would be to treat it like a severe burn. Also bought some sterile saline so I can clean the wound when I get home and re-wrap it all up in clean dressings and a heat pad to keep her warm.

I agree on the training for my Pyr...it can be frustrating training him because he is very independent and does what he wants to do. It is also difficult to do much work where he is around the birds, because the perimeter of my property is not fenced, I just have a 60ft by 120ft goat pasture that he and the goats are in. To give him access to the birds for training I would have to let him out of the goat pen. Sounds easy, but of course he has to make EVERYTHING difficult...if he gets out of the goat pen he won't let you catch him, stays just out of reach like it's a big game. Putting him on a leash is just a mess because he refuses to walk on it and frequently slips his collar. I'm going to try buying a different style of collar, maybe a choke chain (terrible name) or pinch collar...something that will not let him slide his head out when he wants to get away and a long lead so I can tie him to me and let him wander nearby while I do chores.

The shock collar is also on the list, as I want him to associate the unpleasant experience with his act of bothering the chicken and not with me, otherwise he will just learn not to bother them when I am around. It will also be nice to be able to give a correction from a distance...right now, if he is doing something I don't want him to do and I tell him "No!" he just looks at me with this expression like, "Yeah right, you are way over there, I can do whatever I like." and goes right back to doing it.
somad.gif

Pinch collars are fantastic as long as you realize you can't jerk on them...I know that sounds like common sense, but not everyone has it! Shock collars are wonderful too! We broke my Catahoula of jumping the fence with one, not to mention training him to stay by our side when we go places, etc.

I had a similar problem. I got a Pyr to protect my animals. But it was so hyper and playful and huge it stomped several chicks and would romp them until death. I was soooo ticked.

If it was my choice I would of gotten her a shock collar and tried that. But the rest of my family was so upset, because she was hurting the cats, chickens. That she ended up going to a new homes with kids. I will probably try again after I move out of the house and have more time in a few years. But I'm not sure yet.

It was a lot of stress and trouble. To keep a puppy away from my free ranging animals, especially if i had to do that for two years.

But I didn't have a predator problem when she was around. Of course she was sort of the predator.

I'm thinking about maybe getting a smaller dog. But I just can't decide on any breed. No certain kind of dog seems good with chickens. Maybe I should just forget about getting a dog.

Quote:
Yeah, I am leaning towards the pinch collar after I read about this study where they compared them with choke chain collars and found that the choke collars frequently caused fractures to the hyoid (sp?) bone in dogs' throats whereas the pinch collars don't. Probably because the pinching action makes them less likely to jerk and pull around so much because it would hurt. I had a lab that would pull so bad on a leash that if I used a choke collar he would pull until he passed out if you let him. I had to switch to a halti collar (looks like a horse halter) for him.

Back
Top Bottom