Want to know my biggest tip for coop building? + purple progress pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OScarlet, Aug 18, 2013.

1. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    The one thing I wish I had known before I started?

Don't paint it.

Seriously, don't. Stain or varnish it if you want.

If you have designed a coop that has a lot of contrasting pretty (and functional) trim painting it will quadruple your time. If you combine it with an open coop or run where wire is involved you will have to prepaint it and it will need three coats and they will take forever. They will also chip if you don't baby it for the first week or so while it cures so if a child of yours or husband walks past it suddenly there will be a chip out of the paint and you know the chickens will peck at that chip until the end of time.

Yeah, the colours are cute, the trim makes it pretty. You however will be covered in primer for several weeks and it will seem like the coop will never be finished.

Oh and Behr alkyd paint? The worst. It may have been a mistint and cheap, now I know why. I'm lucky if that stuff dries in 16 hours and it is really goopy to apply.

If you ignore me at least build the coop, apply the trim then dismantle it and paint all the trim at once. This piecemeal lark is for the birds and I can't cut the next piece to fit because I'M STILL WAITING FOR THE DANG PAINT TO DRY!

(this is why you next to never see a cheap commercial coop painted or if you do it is extra)

2. MandyFitch

MandyFitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    HAH That's funny and probably good advice that my daughter will not allow me to follow.

She wants a magenta coop. With sparkles. And a unicorn or pegasus painted on the side. Apparently this will make for happy hens.

Wish me luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. OScarlet

Jul 30, 2013
    ours is going to be purple and white. Perhaps you daughter would settle for just painted trim? Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. Weasleymum

Weasleymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmmm, maybe THIS is why my husband agreed to build a coop but said that I'm in charge of all the painting/ polyurethaning/ etc. Smart man.

One problem with your suggestion, though: wood has to be finished with *something* or it rots really fast. Paint is a lot cheaper than varnish, especially when you pick up mistints for $6 a gallon (I just hope my chickens like lavender, b/c that's the color I picked up for interior of the coop!). For some reason, clear-coat poly never makes it to the mistint table... go figure. A stained and poly'd coop is for folks who aren't on a budget!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I used the same paint that's on the house for the outside and it took a good bit of abuse installing the run without issue. Of course, it was also Valspar Duramax which is expensive but pretty amazing stuff. The trim is the same color as the walls -- saves a lot of time. I painted the inside with mildew-resistant primer and then a glossy alkalyd enamel and yeah, it's slow to cure but so nice and glossy! And I bought it cheap too (the Glidden was on clearance) but it's holding up well.

1 person likes this.
  6. OScarlet

Jul 30, 2013
    well that is good to hear!

Weasleymum, at this point in the proceedings I'm not sure if I care if it had cost more. I'm just ready to be DONE! LOL. Unfortunately I'm also the painter in our family, my husband doesn't paint.

7. OScarlet

Jul 30, 2013
    Anyone want to see some progress pics?

Before trim and wire... very purple!

[​IMG]

Trim going on...wire in place, textured vinyl flooring off cut -- less purple now huh?

[​IMG]

My older son likes clean and modern and he would prefer it stay like this... but my younger son and I are having fun prettying it up... which do prefer? Modern or fancy (more trim to come)?

[​IMG]

space for coop being cleared (wall jack hammered out, 50 years of stumps and roots ground out) so we can put down pavers, move the coop and do the roof!

[​IMG]

DS#1 working on stump grinding
    [​IMG]

and the very unappreciative motley crew who want to know what all the grinding and sawing and hammering noises are.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    Quote: Wow, that looks amazing! DEFINITELY keep it up with the trim!

1 person likes this.
  9. OScarlet

Jul 30, 2013
    Thank you very much! I needed that :)

10. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I LOVE the styling of this coop. Very modern. Make sure to post more progress pics. I really like how open it is...you must not be in a very cold area. Will there be a nesting box?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by