want to know what breed I have

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by country53, Nov 22, 2013.

1. country53

country53 New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    I had purchase some Chickens at a livestock sale. I was told they laid blue eggs. Now I am not sure. All three hens I purchased are different in size and looks. The one Rooster I purchased I have no idea what breed he is. Can anyone help me? The last photo is all four birds I had purchased. Thankyou
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    They look like mixes to me. Do they all have single combs?

As for laying blue eggs, Ameraucanas and EEs have pea combs which is linked to the blue egg gene. I'm pretty sure Legbars are the only breed with single combs that lay blue eggs.
    From the looks of it, I don't think you will be getting blue eggs.

The rooster looks like he could be a black copper Marans mixed rooster.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  3. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think any of these are EE.

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I believe mixes too. IF they really do day blue eggs, my guess would be legbar mixes.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Look like mixes to me. I'm not seeing any traits that would make them blue egg layers (ear muff/tufts indicating Ameraucana background, pea combs, etc).

6. TheRoostergirl

TheRoostergirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    Guys you are way off that rooster though may be black copper maran and that first hen is a silver Sussex for sure and the black hens may be black Sumatras.

7. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I don't think any of us actually think these chickens are legbar, or ameracauna, and all have said they are mixes. I think most were going off the info of blue egg laying, and what possibility there is if in fact they do lay blue eggs. (which I think most have doubts about)

8. weasel killer

weasel killer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    I have Americana mixes that lay green eggs.They have Americana in them for sure.They look very similar to some of mine.they are my best egg layers

9. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    The silver Sussex is not a common color here in the US, I have never heard of it until now, but judging from the pictures provided the first hen is not a purebred Sussex at all as they have white shanks and she has black shanks. The solid black is not a Sumatra as she doesn't have the correct body type nor does she have dark enough skin.
    Most of us have come to the conclusion that they are mixes. And most likely brown egg laying mixes at that, as there is not significant evidence that they will lay blue eggs.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sussex have white legs, this hen has dark. The black hens don't really have a Sumatra body type. That rooster has tons of red on the chest and no feathering on the legs.

Since these birds were purchased at a livestock sale, it's pretty unlikely they're any relatively rare breed. They look like a mixed breed flock and are likely all related. Hoof beats usually mean horses, not zebras.

I agree I don't see any blue/green egg characteristics, but you'll know for sure when they start laying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by