Want to know what I did yesterday?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MikasGirl, Aug 25, 2010.

1. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    First off I should explain that I have a blog. And I try to update it everyday. Here is the post from today (it involves chickens.. and it happened yesterday, just for clarification) And the first thing I mention is finding a sick hen again, which is why we were going to get an antibiotic injection.

How did my day go yesterday? Well it started with finding another sick hen in the morning, Quail. After a quick review of the injectable antibiotic I wanted, my mom, brother, and I headed to the Grange. On the way, we noticed a very plump barred rock, and two bantam roosters. We started putting two and two together and realized that these three chickens must be far away from home as the only house on that LONG street that had chickens was far up the road. We drove to the house and pulled into the driveway. Our intent was to let the woman know that her chickens were lost so that she could retrieve them. However, what we didn't know, was that the woman was elderly. She had taken her medication and was unable to fetch her birds. She said that she had been missing a barred rock, and didn't know where it went. My mom and I being chicken enthusiasts, offered to try and herd them down the road back home, or if we were not able to herd them, we would try our hand at catching them. We drove back, didn't remember exactly where we had seen the three chickens, and finally pulled over to what we were pretty sure was the spot.

The woman had said the birds would respond and come to the words "Chick, chick!" So I got out of the car (my mom had to stay with Gabey) and began calling for them. I'm sure people were giving me weird looks, but I didn't care. I HAD to save these birds. I started down into the forest and heard them. Pretty soon I saw the barred rock.

Upon first glance I had thought the BR was a hen. She was actually a he. Luckily he didn't have long spurs. Shortly after he came out, so did the tiny little bantys. They all gave me quizzical looks because they had no idea who they were looking at. My mom found some Cheerios and oyster crackers in the car. (Thank Gabe [​IMG] ) I slowly lured (well, TRIED) the barred rock up the forest hill with the treats. The bantys were hesitant to follow and ended up staying put. Each time he was within grabbing distance, a car would drive by and scare him back down the hill. I spent probably twenty minutes doing this. Lure with treats, almost grab, car drive by, bird freak out.

Needless to say I was quite disappointed in myself for not being able to catch the chickens. Had I been wearing adequate shoes, I could've followed the birds deeper into the forest, but I had on measly flip flops that weren't appropriate for trekking through dense brush. The whole situation really upset me because there was no way that the chickens would make it through the night. I can only HOPE that they got smart and found their way home... Trying to convince myself they did.

I'm insane, I love chickens... There's nothing I can do about it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Bless you for trying, sounds like something I would do.

Micah

3. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Yeah, I wish I could've caught them! They were GORGEOUS birds... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by