want to know when to put grit in

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hunter109, May 2, 2011.

1. hunter109

hunter109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    i have some chicks that are about a week or so old i was wondering when i should start putting grit in they eat some of the seeds on the hey i put in for bedding so i just dont know when i should put grit in

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Whenever they are eating things other than starter. :) I don't feed anything other than

starter until they are atleast three weeks old.. Buy chick grit at the feed store, once they

get a bit older [​IMG]

SC

3. hunter109

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    ok i know mine are getting some seeds off the hay so what should i do there i use hay for there bedding. well i have a 50lb bag thats almost gone and they are feathering out good so when would you start them on the grower feed i herd after there 50lb bag is gone start them on the grower feed is that right or is the going to hurt them

4. monsterkx500

monsterkx500 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
  5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    You can go ahead and offer some grit to them. I would place a little in a shallow bowl, and remove

it after a few minutes. I never feed grower. I feed starter until I see an egg, However they can be fed

starter until feathered out, then moved to a maintenance feed until they start laying. [​IMG]

SC

6. hunter109

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    ok i am just going on what my uncle was saying he had chickens for years now and that is how he dose it so idk what to do

7. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I read in on of Joel Salatins books he offers grit salad bar style immediately.... I use river sand, you can get it at local gravel places usually and its suppossed to be real healthy with all the minerals etc in it. Mine love it.

8. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    If they eat starter feed exclusively, there is no need for grit. If they eat anything else or in addition to the starter feed, give them chick grit or clean sand (like the stuff sold for children's sandboxes).

9. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Mine are about 10 days old and I only feed starter food. Well today I picked up some grit at the feed store for chicks and tossed a little in the brooder as I noticed they were really starting to kick things around and forage. Tonight it is all gone and they seem happy.

10. hunter109

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    thats cool now what you all think about the one bag deal on the starter feed idk my uncle dose it that way and has great chickens idk need some help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by