1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Want to learn the nitty gritty on cross breeding?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by batchhatchin, Jan 1, 2015.

1. batchhatchin

batchhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2014
    North central Texas
    I found this study online that some of you may have stumbled on by the way of Google as I myself did back a few months ago. The study is titled cross breeding of poultry. It was produced by Kansas state college of ag and applied science in 1942. They have multiple studies available online. I printed every one I could find and have read almost every word of all of them. It's written in the most scientific terms of the times. Since it was conducted and written prior to 1950 it's really plain English now days. Sorry I wrote a book but it would be an absolute sin not to share this info. I'm a total nerd when it comes to agriscience and husbandry. Any ways look it up if ya get a chance and have a couple hrs to burn reading. The study on sexing hatchlings is also great.

2. ILikeBirds

ILikeBirds Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    SW Washington
    Can you give us a quick abstract? I've been doing a lot reading on mixed breeds and general genetics lately myself, trying to wrap my head around it all.

3. batchhatchin

Oct 28, 2014
    North central Texas
    The general run down would be 15 pages at least. There is a mountain of info in those studies. They concluded that a leg horn rooster over a barred rock or Rhode Island Red hen will produce a cross that will out grow and out lay both pure breeds by quite a bit on the first generation. The second generation loses it's vigor and zip. You would have to keep the parent stock to produce replacement stock. They have all kinds of charts for every thing in the study. You can look it over fast and read the charts and get 70% of the info.

4. Regular Guy

Regular Guy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Can you post a link or some information that would be helpful searching for it?

5. batchhatchin

Oct 28, 2014
    North central Texas
    I printed all of them off at work where I have a high capacity printer so I don't have a link for them. I found them on google I'm sure if you look up the title and the school they will show up( posted above) best I can remember they are PDF files

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by