Want to make sure I worm for the proper parasite

Whitey_87

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
I found a worm in one of my chickens droppings today. I did not get a picture of it but here is my best attempt at a description:

I believe it was a cecal poop because is was liquidy and greenish. It did have a solid part like a normal poop (from the poop page).
I noticed a movement in the liquidy (cecal) part.
The worm was maybe .5mm or .9mm thick (I am thinking in terms of mechanical pencil graphite thickness)
The worm was probably 1/4" to 1/2" long if stretched out.
The worm was constantly slithering like a snake through the liquidy part of the poop.
I would definitely say it was cylindrical, it was not flat.

I checked some other random poops and did not see any worms at all. No flat tapeworms, no roundworms like I have seen in pictures, just this small slithering worm in this one poop.

What I need help with is identifying the worm so that I can properly treat it. I did a few searches and it sounds like a cecal worm, although I have not found any pictures of one and the poop was not brown and foamy as described in the blackhead symptoms.

Should I go with the treatment for cecal worms or go with the wazine 17 and ivermectin combo that is the standard recomendation? Does the "broad-spectrum" nature of the ivermectin kill cecal worms if that is in fact what my birds might have?

edit*
It has been raining a lot here and they have been going crazy on earthworms.

I also noticed that one bird constantly has its tail down. I don't recall if this was the bird that expelled the worm but is something I noticed. The rest of the flock has their tails horizontal or slightly up. Does a tucked tail indicate anything? Her behavior is normal, she's as chipper as the rest.

Thanks for the help
Whitey

Last edited:
If I were you I would use a broad spectrum wormer on the entire flock...with all the rain, roundworms will surface and they eat them...

I use Ivermectin Pour-On it will say for cattle but put 4 - 6 drops/approx 1/4 cc directly on the skin at the base of the neck where the shoulders begin You can also use Valbazan or Eprinex. Repeat in 10 days to get any new hatchlings.

There is usually an egg withdrawal which means toss the eggs away, some say one week others say 10 days. I toss the eggs for about a week after each wormer application. These wormers will kill all of the parasite including gape worm, so you won't go wrong.

It definitely sounds like roundworm to me...the most common worm that chickens can get. I recommend using wazine17 first to get rid of the roundworms. Then like Cetawin states; discard eggs for 2 weeks then use a broad spectrum wormer like ivermectin pour on. I recommend that you read 'threehorses' messages on regarding worming. i follow her instructions to the letter.

Thanks for the replies.

I will go the wazine 17 and ivermectin route and discard the eggs.

The ivermectin I've seen states that it is an injectable. I will look more closely for one that states "Pour-On".

Thanks for the reminder dawg53, threehorses does know her stuff. I just wanted to make sure that a broad spectrum would get whatever this worm was.

One question on the wazine17. I have seen posts were it says to leave it out for 24 hours. Does that mean leave the water/wazine17 out for just one day or 24 total active hours, like maybe a day and a half (when they would actually take a drink, not be on the roost sleeping.)?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
The best thing to do is put it out first thing in the morning just before the chickens leave their house. It must be their only source of water for 24 hours. Example; they come out of their house at 630am, you should have it out there before 630am. Then at 630am the next morning, dispose of it and replace with fresh water. Chickens like to get a drink of water after eating first thing in the mornings, and of course they drink water at various times during the day as well as before they go to bed.

The best thing to do is put it out first thing in the morning just before the chickens leave their house. It must be their only source of water for 24 hours. Example; they come out of their house at 630am, you should have it out there before 630am. Then at 630am the next morning, dispose of it and replace with fresh water. Chickens like to get a drink of water after eating first thing in the mornings, and of course they drink water at various times during the day as well as before they go to bed.

Look for the ivermectin in the cattle and equine section....the 250ml bottle at the feed store cost me about $18 and it will last you several wormings I use it on all 46 of my birds back in Oregon then again in 10 days and still have almost 1/2 of the bottle left. It only requires 4 - 6 drops per standard bird...remember it is ubber concentrated for cattle making the requirements for the birds smaller.

The pros in using the broad spectrum, you kill all of the internal parasites as well as some external in addition to the roundworms...Wazine kills only roundworm.

The package looks like this for the ivomec: great stuff

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...0-milli-litre-cattle-dewormer-pour-on-2207454

Last edited:
Thanks.

I have a question about the eggs. I did some searching and and know to not eat the eggs, but can I compost them?

Back
Top Bottom