Want to Order Bob Flight Birds

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bbqsfarm, Feb 1, 2013.

1. bbqsfarm

bbqsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    I have been checking around for bobwhite flight birds. Can anyone recommend a good hatchery? Also how to bobs fair when shipping? I found a place in Maine for large quantity but that is a long way to ship and I cannot find thier shipping policy. I am in Oregon does anyone have any suggestions or good hatcheries to recommend. I am looking for 2 or 3 shipments March and April of about 100 birds each.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is not easy to ship adult live quail. They stress easily. Most of the large hatcheries around the country only deal with hatching eggs or day old chicks. So you will need to flight condition them yourself.

You might want to look around your state and see if you can find a small private breeder/hatchery near you that you could either have these birds shipped a very short distance, or you could pick them up yourself.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    He wants around 300, do small breeders have that many quail lying around? (Maybe eggs, i don't think they have live, but still try!)

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Many small time hatcheries and breeders hatch hundreds if not thousands of quail a year and can supply as many as needed. :)

5. MrNappy

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Yea, that's per year. Even if they hatched 1200 per year that would be 100 per moth. He want 100-300 at once (?).

6. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    Try do a search on hunting preserves in your state. Contact them some have hatcheries or can prob. tell you some local ones. I have seen some will deliver birds if you buy enough and are witin a reasonable distance.

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, these small gamebird farms can hatch a thousand at once at any time and deliver the goods as well. :)

8. MrNappy

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Yea, but there's a difference between baby quail and adults. Plus these are Bobs not Cots they would need like 4 months to mature. I don't think they would keep em that long either, just to ship. I'm not saying don't try i'm all for it, but it seems kinda hard, why don't you look for multiple small hatcheries? That would be much easier. Or, look for a big one that would ship adults. Hmm... I have no idea about these things as i live in Canada, we barely have quail.

9. bbqsfarm

bbqsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    I have contacted some folks that are willing to grow out for us for June, July and August. But I still need to find flight birds for Mar, April and May.

10. Woofless

Woofless Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    SD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by