Want to order Porcelain Bantams but don't want to order 15?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SmolChicken, Sep 28, 2015.

1. SmolChicken

SmolChicken New Egg

Sep 28, 2015
    I was browsing Mcmurray's hatchery and I wanted to order 3 bantam chicks but the minimum is 15 and I already have some bantams but I wanted a couple more for doing poultry shows with? Anyone know a website where the minimum is atleast 2 especially with Porcelain bantams in stock? [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Chicks are not shipped in such small quantities because they are kept warm by mass body heat. 2 chicks shipped alone will most likely be dead upon arrival, especially bantams. Heat packs are available form some hatcheries, but cost a pretty penny. Try finding someone local who wants to split an order with you, and check with feed stores in the area, as they are sometimes willing to tack on a few extra chicks to their orders upon request.

Although if you want them for shows, I would really recommend a breeder. Or at the very least, a hatchery other than McMurray. MMH produces fine, healthy birds, who will typically be good layers - but they also usually have horrible coloring and conformation and will probably come last in any kind of show. If you actually want to WIN shows, seek out a breeder - though hatcheries will occasionally spit out decent birds, very rarely will they ever be truly good specimins. You'll need to find a good breeder, specify that you want show quality animals, and be prepared to pay a decent sum for them.

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I don't know if they have your particular breed, by My Pet Chicken specializes in small orders. The shipping can be quite a bit, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by