Want to pick silkies out of the TSC - UPDATE - SUCCESS!! PICS Pg. 2

lceh

Songster
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
Central Virginia
I'm a chick newbie getting bantam peeps from Meyer on April 7 or 8, but I want to add a couple of bantam silkies since Meyer is sold out. Our local Tractor Supply Store is getting mixed bantams from Mt. Healthy on April 6, so I'm guessing they'll be close enough in age to put them in the same brooder. My question: when I peer into the bin of adorable bantam peepers, how can I tell for certain which are silkies? I've heard people talk about counting toes or checking skin color, but I didn't know if these characteristics are unique to silkies! The Mt. Healthy assortment should include both black and white silkies, if that helps.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Silkies will have dark beaks, black skin and black legs. They will have feathers on their legs and poofy heads. They will also have an extra toe. Just start looking at their beaks and work your way down.
smile.png

Silkies will be the only thing that has all of the above characteristics.
I just got 7 from TSC and they are all sweetie pies! Silkies are the best!

Yes, those are unique Silkie traits - they should have 5 toes on each foot (other chicks should have only 4), and the skin under the fluff should be black. Also, they're legs and feet should be feathered.

Here's a pic of my baby white silkies...

19371_picture_015jpg.jpg

I don't know what colors you are looking for, but the really yellow chicks will turn into white silkies, the yellow and grey chicks are splashes, and the dark chicks are either blues or blacks. I got one this that's tinted orangish over the yellow. I'm thinking it will turn out as a partridge or red (but I'm guessing on that).

Enjoy your babies! Silkies are froot loops, but you will love them.
smile.png

Hooray, I did it! I managed to pick the only 4 silkies out of a seething mass of bantam babies -- 3 white, 1 black. You all were right, it was pretty easy to notice the 5 toes and feathered feet once I got a good look. I grabbed 2 bantam EEs to meet my minimum requirement of 6 (didn't look closely enough, one had a bad pasty butt but after cleaning up she had a mega poop and started eating and drinking, so I hope she's okay).

Three cheers for first chickies!

Great Job!! I just got 5 of the 7 silkies from the Lincoln TSC. 2 white, 1 yellow/orangish, 1 blue, and one either dark blue or black. All of this not counting my two Self Blues from Ideal, and the 3 more self blues that are coming on the 17th!
I have never seen a real silkie in person, so I may have gone a bit overboard!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom