Want to plant a dedicated chicken garden

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DryCreek Chixs, Aug 30, 2010.

1. DryCreek Chixs

DryCreek Chixs New Egg

Aug 26, 2010
    Hello to all. We have our first wonderful flock of layers and have been loving all six (3 barred rocks 2 RIR's). We let them roam all day and they love to eat our garden.. ALL OF IT. So, we'll be sectioning off an area of yard for them to roam and I wanted to plant a garden of stuff JUST FOR THEM TO EAT UP. Can anyone recommend maybe a wild flower mix or grass or something that I can plant for them, which the'll love, even more than our garden? Wondering if there is seed mix out there to spread in their new bed?

2. lacasitarojafarm

lacasitarojafarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Skagit Valley, WA
    My chickens love LOVE, chinese flowering broccoli, kale, and zucchini.

3. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    My chickens love Swiss Chard.

4. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    With the approaching of fall, I would recommend greens. Our chickens love lettuce; cabbage is popular, too.

Next summer, be sure to plant some watermelon for them!

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Try peas, not only can you feed them the peas, but also the shoots and leaves. I do sugar snap peas.

Also grapes have been mentioned, grapes and leaves.

Imp

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Swiss chard, kale, beet greens, dark leaf lettuce or parsley will grow in cooler fall weather. They like chickweed and purslane, too.

7. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    For a fall garden Kales and squash and pumkin. Chickens love these and they will last till first frost.

Next year try sunflowers, spinch, totmatoes, peas, melons ect. They will have their favs which you will find with time. But those I list are best bets of any chickens eating.

8. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Yesterday I planted some wheat berries and some alfalfa seed in my new chick enclosure. They are already sprouted! I like to keep a patch of wheat grass growing for my tortoise and the chickens like sprouted wheat too.

I think any grain seeds would be good to plant in a chicken garden.

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Agree, especially kale and chickweed. (The chickweed is really good for you, too; great in a salad!)

10. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    My little biddies love eating Strawberries! I tried to grow strawberries but had no luck. Maybe it's too hot in Austin. Maybe I'm just a lousy gardner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by