1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Want to purchase some TRUE BLUE Egg layers!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Layin Eggs, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Layin Eggs

Layin Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get Pure breed Araucana/Ameraucana (I want Blue eggs NOT Green). My husband and I have 18 pullets and 2 roosters. (Barred Rocks, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and Easter Eggers). We are getting some Greenish colored eggs from the EE's. They are lovley but I was hoping for Blue too. I understand that many hatcheries are selling chicks as Ameraucanas/Aracaunas. even though they are really EE's.

Am I correct in my research that both Aracaunas and Ameraucanas with always lay "Only" BLUE eggs as long as they are Standard pure breads?

I have noticed that quite a few members are selling eggs to be hatched, however, I am not set up for hatching so I was hoping I could purchase already hatched chicks or young pullets.

I hope this was not too confusing.
    thanks in advance for any input. This site Rocks!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, more or less. They can also be blue/green or green/blue, but should never be Army or olive green, for instance. And someone here bought supposed blue eggs off ebay; she thought they were green, but her husband says they are blue. People see color differently, I can tell you from personal experience.

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    One way that you can get blue egg layers from your EE pullets next year is to buy a true araucauna rooster that was hatched from a blue egg. The rooster carries the blue egg gene and will pass it on to his offspring. Some of the roosters look cool from pure araucanas, I like the tufted tailed birds. You can usually find pure araucanas on eggbid for a decent price.

4. Layin Eggs

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    Hmmmm...there's an idea....but them I still have to hatch them. I was hoping to get already hatched.[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Jody (hinkjc) raises Araucanas and I'm sure she could set you up with some chicks "pre-hatched", LOL.

6. Layin Eggs

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    now there is an idea....I will have to talk to hubby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by