Want to put my automatic door on a timer

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JacksonH, Oct 22, 2011.

1. JacksonH

JacksonH Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2011
    I bought a used garage door opener on craigslist for $40 and modified it to work as a chicken door opener. It is a chain drive unit and the rail came in 3 parts, each one was about 3' long. I used only one 3' length of the rail and cut the chain down to the proper length and it works like a charm; I can open it or close it with a button, just like a garage door opener works, and I have a remote that works also. When the door is closed, it is really closed, and no predator is getting through that door. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The reason that I made this setup in the first place was to have it close automatically at night, on a timer, but I can't figure out how to wire in a timer.

Has anyone done this, or does anyone have any thoughts about how to do this?

I'll post pics of my coop when they allow me to (this is my first post, other than my intro and I guess that I have to make a certain amount of posts in order to get those privileges).

JacksonH

ps I have 13 birds

2. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    yes please post pics and the brand of opener.
    I may need to find a schematic to finger it all out.

3. JacksonH

Oct 21, 2011
    yellowirenut,

It is a Sears model # 139.53627SRT; manufacture date is 04/1993

I don't have a picture of the setup, but I'll get one and try to post it.

Thanks for the help,

JacksonH

4. JacksonH

Oct 21, 2011
    SteveBaz,

Thanks for the links. I have already seen most of these when I did a search of the forum posts, and none of them are helpful in my situation, but again, thanks.

JacksonH

5. yellowirenut

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
  6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I was wondering if one of the timers that the plug of the opener pluged into would work? I have one of those I used to use on a light. This one has pins you push is for the time to turn on and off. It plugs into the receptacle and the opener into it.[​IMG] Man, what a description.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  7. yellowirenut

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    Quote:Sorry one of those wont work. They would only turn power off and on to the opener. You need something that acts like the button on your wall

8. JacksonH

Oct 21, 2011
    yellowirenut wrote
    I found one on amazon that would work better than hacking into the board with a timer and all that

http://www.amazon.com/Gate-Garage-Door-Seven-Timer/dp/B0041I0YG2

That one is too pricey for me, plus being a creative type of guy, I like coming up with something home made. It seems that it shouldn't be that tough to do, I just don't know where to start.

Thanks,

Jackson​

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  9. JacksonH

Oct 21, 2011
    Ole rooster wrote:
    I was wondering if one of the timers that the plug of the opener pluged into would work? I have one of those I used to use on a light. This one has pins you push is for the time to turn on and off. It plugs into the receptacle and the opener into it. Man, what a description.

Thanks for the thoughts, but like yellowirenut says, that would only apply power to the opener but wouldn't open the door.

Jackson​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by