want to raise ducks on 1/4 acre.

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by gunnarwordon, Feb 5, 2012.

1. gunnarwordon

gunnarwordon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    This is a weird question. I want to raise ducks on less than 1/4 acre. We have an old barn that could be used if necessary. I will post pictures later. Is this goal possible? I want to raise about 6. Runners preferably.

2. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas. Don't see why not. How many did you have in mind?

3. gunnarwordon

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    6. is it possible to raise all males, as the noise of a female may disrupt neighbors?

4. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I have 5 and only have a 1/4 of an acre. They are very happy duckies. They do run over to the neighbors when they get a chance though. I would go for it. Mine are Campbells 2 boys and 3 girls.

5. gunnarwordon

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    I want to do Runners......... I am going to try it. Worst-case scenario: I'm out $50.00 on a few ducks.....

6. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    No problem, they aren't very noisy at all, only when you bring the dinner bucket[​IMG] Mine are in winter runs right now, 8X30 maybe and could easily live there all year. You won't have any bugs!They chase bugs in the morning and spend the day lazying in the shade after a dip in a pool.

7. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I've got 13 runners, along with their toulouse goose "mama". The goose can get noisy but the ducks aren't. Even when they do talk, its mostly among themselves and not disruptive. They are great on bugs,too.

8. gunnarwordon

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    great! I plan on doing it them............... what exactly is a winter run

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by