Want to raise numbers

Clap p 1

Songster
May 12, 2020
Hempstead, Texas
Hi all, long time no heard from me. I decided to get quail this fall and have been busy with that project. Now it's time to work with my chickens again.I have 5 separate pens and need to raise the numbers of certain breeds. I have only one black copper maran hen and a blue copper maran rooster. Need more marans. I have a hen and a rooster Araucana. Need more Araucana. I have a barred red rooster and a lemon cuckoo hen. Need more lemon cuckoo. I stared a maran egg and lemon cuckoo egg today. I plan on continuing to add plus Araucana eggs as she lays them until incubator is full. I have three incubators so I will juggle lockdown. I love excitement. (On dear, I sound like an artisan) I will think about it more and may change my mind but if I come up with a plane, woe be to him who tries to change it.
Actually, I was trying to decide how I am going to integrate these new pullets this summer. If I move pen two flock to pen four and raise the babies in pen two. Will I be able to move the original flock back into pen two o r will they try to kill the four month old pullets? Or do I have to separate everyone from each other before I can put them back. That would be the Maran pen. Any ideas or comments are greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, my current chick ens are about a yr old.

Hi all, long time no heard from me. I decided to get quail this fall and have been busy with that project. Now it's time to work with my chickens again.I have 5 separate pens and need to raise the numbers of certain breeds. I have only one black copper maran hen and a blue copper maran rooster. Need more marans. I have a hen and a rooster Araucana. Need more Araucana. I have a barred red rooster and a lemon cuckoo hen. Need more lemon cuckoo. I stared a maran egg and lemon cuckoo egg today. I plan on continuing to add plus Araucana eggs as she lays them until incubator is full. I have three incubators so I will juggle lockdown. I love excitement. (On dear, I sound like an artisan) I will think about it more and may change my mind but if I come up with a plane, woe be to him who tries to change it.
Actually, I was trying to decide how I am going to integrate these new pullets this summer. If I move pen two flock to pen four and raise the babies in pen two. Will I be able to move the original flock back into pen two o r will they try to kill the four month old pullets? Or do I have to separate everyone from each other before I can put them back. That would be the Maran pen. Any ideas or comments are greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, my current chick ens are about a yr old.
I didn't read your whole post yet, but hi!!!
I haven't heard from you in so long! How have you been?
Did you ever get any Bresses?

can you breed them all in their seperate pens, then once you have multiple chicks from each, move all the parents and mix them together into 1 pen, then use the remaining pens for the offspring.
That is how I would do it. Once the babies are older the parents could be reintegrated if you wanted. Just a thought and maybe I am not picturing everything you are working with.

Sounds like you have a lot of plans this year for your chickens!! I agree with others in putting the pens near each other. If you're getting chicks you can always put the brooder in the pen with them so they don't see the chicks as a threat. I do this when my chicks get a little older and have some feathers. I put them in the coop in a giant dog kennel. That way they're around each other for a few weeks before I end up letting them out. It works really well for us.

I didn't read your whole post yet, but hi!!!
I haven't heard from you in so long! How have you been?
Did you ever get any Bresses?
Hi kid, I have been busy with quail. The chickens are just doing chicken stuff.
I do have bresse, three hens and a roo. Good layers. Just like everyone else I'm not impressed with their size though.
I wound up with a Red Dorkin roo and am planning on giving him the hens and harvesting the Bresse roo for stock. With the Dorkin roo at least maybe babies will be bigger and give a better harvest. You want a beautiful Bresse roo with an attitude?
I know I was going to send you Bresse eggs and I can but I don't know who the dad would be. When they were babies they all grew up together so get along great. They being the Bresse hens,roo, Dorkin roo, Isabella leghorns hen, and a chocolate cuckoo orpington that I tried to Caponize but knew it wouldn't take. I saw that little piece but when I went back in for it couldn't find it.
Anyway dad could be any of the 3 roos and mom could be a leghorn.
I plan to move the chocolate cuckoo in with a chocolate cuckoo hen and a chocolate hen that I have to get my Orpington together. I do love my orpingtons.
So what have you been up to?

can you breed them all in their seperate pens, then once you have multiple chicks from each, move all the parents and mix them together into 1 pen, then use the remaining pens for the offspring.
That is how I would do it. Once the babies are older the parents could be reintegrated if you wanted. Just a thought and maybe I am not picturing everything you are working with.
that's pretty much what I was intending. Great, see I'm not crazy😁

Sounds like you have a lot of plans this year for your chickens!! I agree with others in putting the pens near each other. If you're getting chicks you can always put the brooder in the pen with them so they don't see the chicks as a threat. I do this when my chicks get a little older and have some feathers. I put them in the coop in a giant dog kennel. That way they're around each other for a few weeks before I end up letting them out. It works really well for us.
I have tried that and lost some precious chick that way. Great idea I just can't seem to implement it . Thank you for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom