want to raise orpington chicks this spring

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fieona, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Fieona

Fieona New Egg

Nov 15, 2008
    Want to raise 6-8 orpington baby chicks, will be ready for them by Febuary or March. Mc Murrays hatchery looks like a good seller but must buy 25 chicks, stated due to safety of chicks during shipping. Having trouble finding seller of orpingtons in my area, Wildomar, CA.
    New at this and wondering how to search for sellers and is it possible to have only 6-8 chicks sent by mail?

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

You can order less through Ideal but you will probably get cockerels in as packing peanuts too.

3. chels23

chels23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
    My Pet Chicken have a minimum of three. Also check in the Index under Breeders. There are a lot of people around here that could probably send you some.

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I have not ordered from mypetchicken.com but it might be worth looking at. They send small numbers. Is there someone near you that could split an order? You could call your feed store also and see if they would order some- they would order like the 25 and you would get what you wanted and they would sell the others to someone else. That way you could look them over, too.
    Good Luck. I love my Orps
    Christina

5. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I have also thought about looking into My pet chicken.. you don't always want 25 birds.. so its a good idea, however does anyone know the quality? I know many hatcherys have barn yard quality.. is My pet chicken the same?

6. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I got 2 silkies from someone who got them from Mypetchicken. She ordered 2 pullets and got a pullet and a rooster so she had to get rid of the rooster as she wasn't allowed to have any and gave me his mate also. They are of a very poor quality. I also have birds from Cackle. I like the Cackle birds a lot but they are not SQ either. My McMurrays birds are real nice but not SQ either. I would order from Cackle and McMurrays again but from the 2 birds I got that came from Mypet I don't think I would order from them ever.

7. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    I have now 8 buff orpingtons and love my girls. As chicks they are gentle and friendly and not flightly. As big girls they lay well. I plan on getting more in the spring as chicks to I can raise & sell them as layers in the Fall.

8. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Quote:I order a total of 13 chicks from Ideal and got them late spring when the weather was warm on a more normal basis. No packing peanuts came with the bunch. I am planning on ordering more from Ideal this spring. Cant wait.[​IMG]

9. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Okay, everybody has their own experiences with different hatcheries, some good, some bad. If you are looking for show quality birds then you will more than likely have to go to a private breeder for them. Remember, most hatcheries are in business to make money, not necessarily raise show birds. They will raise those birds which will make them a profit which means layers and meat birds. I have not read on any of the various hatchery sites that they have SQ birds, in fact most say they are not SQ.

Some hatcheries are also lowering their minimum order amount to 15 chicks now. Your best bet is to do a web search for poultry hatcheries. Those that have a website will also have a way for you to contact them either via [phone call or email

Hope this helps

10. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    You also might call any feed stores or farm supply stores in your area and see if they get chicks in the spring. Some of the places here will order for you when they get theirs or order what you want when they place their order. Just a thought. I know our coop will order for you and Tractor Supply will too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by