Want to raise pheasants! But I have a few questions....

Dec 1, 2020
Western Washington
Hello! I am thinking about raising pheasants, both for meat, for release, and for fun. I have done some reading on my own but still have a few questions.

1. How much space do they need, I hear that the roosters will peck each other if they don't have enough space. I have a pretty nice sized aviary made with a wood frame and cattle wire. I would imagine it would be fine for most of the year when I would only have a rooster and a few hens but what about when they hatch and I have more? Would it be fine if I used those blinder things?

2. Are they even worth it? I have heard some people say they are just too much work for not enough outcome.

3. My chickens and ducks are totally free range. I hear that pheasants and chickens need to be separate to prevent diseases passed from the pheasants. Like I said, the aviary is cattle wire. Would this be enough separation or can they not even be near each other.

Thank you!

I had pheasants for a while but I only had a single pair so I can't give that much advice. The only thing I can say is, be prepared for them to be pretty flighty. Pheasants still aren't very 'domesticated' like ducks, chickens, turkeys etc. The pair I had was terrified of me for the first few weeks and would fly to the other side of the enclosure when I entered to refill food+water and clean. They did get used to me and eventually would be alright with me entering. Also make sure your enclosure is sealed and has no possible exits. If they find a hole or opening they'll be gone in a second and they /will not/ come back. Best of luck in your ventures!

I had pheasants for a while but I only had a single pair so I can't give that much advice. The only thing I can say is, be prepared for them to be pretty flighty. Pheasants still aren't very 'domesticated' like ducks, chickens, turkeys etc. The pair I had was terrified of me for the first few weeks and would fly to the other side of the enclosure when I entered to refill food+water and clean. They did get used to me and eventually would be alright with me entering. Also make sure your enclosure is sealed and has no possible exits. If they find a hole or opening they'll be gone in a second and they /will not/ come back. Best of luck in your ventures!
Thank you!! I hope mine will get somewhat used to me but I think I will release most of them eventually so I won't be disappointed if they don't. How big of a hole can they get through? There might be a few part in the enclosure that has hole like 5" by 6", would that be okay?

Do you have pics of your aviary?
A full grown pheasant can walk right through a 5" to 6" gap....but much worse, a predator can get in through that gap too!

There are permits required to raise alot of different species of gamebirds, pheasants are one of them...also they require a permit to release and most states frown upon individuals releasing gamebirds. They interbreed with indigenous populations and can spread disease and dilute the native gene pool with inferior genes to the native populations as well, if they live long enough...most will get taken by predators in a quick chilly minute.

Last edited:
Do you have pics of your aviary?
A full grown pheasant can walk right through a 5" to 6" gap....but much worse, a predator can get in through that gap too!

There are permits required to raise alot of different species of gamebirds, pheasants are one of them...also they require a permit to release and most states frown upon individuals releasing gamebirds. They interbreed with indigenous populations and can spread disease and dilute the native gene pool with inferior genes to the native populations as well, if they live long enough...most will get taken by predators in a quick chilly minute.
Thank you! I can go take some pictures. Luckily enough, where I live they don't require any permit and are considered "native" (I know ringnecks they aren't actually native to North America). But here the local fish and wildlife has a pheasant release program onto nearby wildlife reserves. Most of them get hunted the following season but there isn't a huge population anyways as it is pretty cold and damp around here. Not prime pheasant habitat.

Back
Top Bottom