Want to raise some chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by homeschoolingmomma, Jul 31, 2011.

1. homeschoolingmomma

homeschoolingmomma New Egg

Jul 30, 2011
    I have been thinking about raising chickens for a while and have decided to try it. I am just collecting information on how to build a small chicken coop to house about 6 chickens. I want something easy to keep clean, something to keep chickens safe from predators and something attractive. I want gentle, pet like chickens that will produce good eggs. I live in washington state, I love Rhode Island reds, but am really new to the chicken world. Any suggestions would be appreciated--I know I want chickens of color--

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hi, from Big Bear Calif, always good to meet another feather brainier. check out BYC 101 and the breed page. There are plenty of people here who will suggest breeds. I personally like Buff orpingtons and barred rocks [​IMG]

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
  4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hi and welcome to BYC! I found that raising chicks at a very young age(1 day-1 week) and handling them everyday creates lap chickens. I have 8 lap chickens. My Sussex is my favorite. She is sweet to me and all the chicks. Since day 1 the speckled sussex has lent her wings to the others at bedtime every night. It's cute to see a chick mother other chicks. Good luck! With the coop, the standard space is 4 square feet per bird and the run is 10 square feet per bird. Chickens are awesome and you will find all the info you need on this site.

6. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    very top of page is some coop designs you can find all kind sizes to work from. There are some very informative people on here to answer about all of your questions. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG]

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    [​IMG]

If you want a colorful, docile, and productive flock of 6 hens I'd suggest...
    1 Rhode Island Red
    1 Barred Rock
    1 Buff Orpington
    1 Black Australorp
    1 Easter Egger/Ameraucana
    1 Silver or Golden Laced Wyandotte

Chickens can be a lot of fun. Good luck! [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! And welcome to the wonderful world of chickens. There are probably as many opinions about favorite chickens are there are chicken breeds. But the forum is a good place to research and you will quickly learn which birds tend to be gentle coupled with good egg output. Sometimes the search for the information is almost as fun as the chickens themselves! Good luck! [​IMG]

10. busyteacher

busyteacher Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Welcome! I have buff orpington, barred rocked, black australorp and aracauna. I love all of them! The aracauna lay a blue/green egg that is fun to collect each day. My barred rocks always have a few speckles on the shells so those eggs are fun too! The orpington eggs are brown and not as fun, but they are some of my most faithful layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by