Want to raise turkeys and chickens together for fair.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chick Li, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Chick Li

Chick Li Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    Hi all,
    My children want to show chickens and turkeys at the fair this year. This would be their first time. In our backyard we have 11 laying hens and 4 more pullets to mature in by the middle of February. My question is can we raise safely both the turkey and chickens in the backyard. This blackhead disease kind of worries me. My daughter want to show maybe a Royal Palm and a market turkey. My son want to show either his Plymouth Barred Rock or his Buff Orpington and two broiler chickens.

Any and all advice would be great.

BTW: I never knew chickens could be so entertaining. They crack us up.
    We're enjoying our flock. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. KristinMarie

KristinMarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    I was worried about the same thing when I got my first turkeys last summer. I kept the poults off of the ground until they were about 7 weeks old to allow their immune system to get stronger. Since then they have free ranged with my chickens without a single problem. The only issue I have had is that the turkeys enjoy chasing my EE and BO roosters around the yard and can be big bullies. They don't do it nearly as often as they used to though. Blackhead has to be there to begin with before it can become an issue. If you think chickens are fun, wait until you get the turkeys! I love my chickens, but I am so attached to my turkeys! They are so curious and friendly. They like hugs and follow me around everywhere! Turkeys like much more attention than chickens do. Good Luck!

3. lovincolorado

lovincolorado Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2012
    Bailey, CO
    i was wondering the same thing! My son is mesmerized by turkeys at shows, and i would love to experience it too, as I enjoy my chickens immensly. But i also wonder how safe would they be free ranging in my fox rampant area. would they need to be completely fenced in (and therefore unhappy) to keep safe?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  4. Game

Game Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    [​IMG]
    yes they can be raised together and do get taken by foxes, just watch them with game roosters becaus the turkey is naturally boss but the game boys want to be, and they can do serious damage to each other, so if you have game breeds keep them apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by