Want to rescue a baby goose??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dgeter, Apr 24, 2009.

1. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    So out local ranch store out here bought some baby ducks and two geese. However no one has bought the last goose and the store is gonna have to put him down :-( I want to save him soo badly!!

However, I dont know anything about geese.. It wouldn't be able to stay inside unless it was in a cage all the time and Id feel bad about that. And if it stays outside what do I put it in?? Wont it fly away when I let it out?

Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks!

Dana

2. moms_coop

moms_coop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    Maine
    While its a baby it needs to be inside with a heat lamp till it grow its feathers. After that it can be kept outside with your chickens. I had a pair with my hens once and they did fine. They are to heavy to fly as far as i know. Mine never did. Maybe someone that knows more will answer. If it was me i'd probably go get it [​IMG], but thats just me...lol
    Sally

3. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    If i were you i would rescue it! NO animal deserves to be put down, (Especially a cute little goose [​IMG])

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I've heard that geese make excellent watchdogs. They are supposed to be the first to honk at any intruder.

5. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Dana I pm'd you but, where are you located?

C

6. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I thought about getting some but then I realized for sure my neighbors would know I had poultry.

7. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Go for it. I am sure you will find a lot of information on here to get it to a good start.
    Good luck!

8. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    I say go get it! My young goose very quickly became too fat to fly. He just wanders around the yard (when I am around) and eats the grass and whatever and otherwise lives with the ducks.

9. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Well theres the problem.. I dont have a chicken coop outside. Not yet anyone. I have one indoor chicken that wears diapers. I'm planning to build a coop this summer but I know I can't build one in time for the goose. The goose does have feathers though and is past the heat lamp stage. I have a large hutch that my chicken is in when I'm not at home.. I could put the goose in there but what does a goose eat?? Surly not chicken feed haha..

10. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I think geese eat game bird feed. If you taught a chicken to wear diapers, couldn't you teach a goose?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by