Want to rescue, have land need coop design tips

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chibz, May 26, 2019.

1. Chibz

Chibz In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    East of England
    Heya I am wanting to rescue some chickens from battery and give them a good quality of life, I have land behind my garage (been digging up soil and trees and bagging it) (photos attached approx. 5m long and 3m wide shortening to 2m wide at the end) I am levelling the land atm and fencing off. My plan was to use 3/4 of the space for a coop and run and the other 1/4 for a small seated area to watch them and storage.
    I live in south east England so generally the weather is neither excessively hot or cold and fairly wet. Its residential so noise can be a problem so any tips on this

This is the first time I would have had chickens and would start with 4-5, I have really been considering ducks (Campbells or Pekin) however I have been put off by people saying its very messy and the water maintenance would be a challenge as well as I hear ducks are nosier than chickens

I have hardcore (as in photo) should I bury this around the edging to prevent foxes digging

does having the coop south facing have a significant advantage? where would you put the coop?

is the garage a good wind break? or do you want a lot wind to help with ventilation and prevent condensation

can you use concrete fence posts for the coop and run or should I make/get a separate wooden frame

any tips would be great
    Thanks

land before

20190105_120401.jpg

20190105_120424.jpg

land atm
    20190525_191626.jpg

20190525_191632.jpg

20190525_191642.jpg

Attached Files:

2. I have a hard time envisioning from description so... Are you saying the coop and run would go along that new fencing?

Breaking the wind is a good thing. You want lots of ventilation in the coop without drafts.

It is kind of you to take in battery hens but they are sometimes on offer because they have stopped laying on account of disease like infection or cancer. So be prepared for the physical issues and the emotional cost to you.

trumpeting_angel and MROO like this.
  3. Chibz

Chibz In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    East of England
    the plan I had in my head was a small paved area with chairs as I walk in, with the coop directly in front along the fence or along the garage to the right. The run would connect to the fence or garage depending on where the coop is, giving them all the space I can all the way along.
    great ill make sure there is a wind break then making sure there is no draft such as next to the fence etc.
    with the rescue, im not 100% sure from yet but im not too fussy with egg production and would like ones who have had a difficult life to have freerange (as much as I can provide) in a safe place with lots of enrichment (I plan to make lots of swings and have lots of toys and treats haha)

4. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    Looks like if your careful you might have space for 6 chickens. The structure material doesn't make any difference. If they are still laying then you need a place to roost at night out of the weather and drafts, a place to lay eggs (lower than the roost or blocked off at night) and an enclosure to prevent what ever predators you have from getting in. The rest is up to personal preferences. A covered run is a plus in a rainy part of the world with roof run off that does not go into the chicken run. It can be one structure with an area to roost and a place to lay and a place to play.

Looks like your off to a good start.

JT

5. Chibz

Chibz In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    East of England
    ok thanks ive found the coop part of the website and going through them all to see what would fit best

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Good job on the clearing. Good luck in creating a coop and establishing your flock.

7. Chibz

Chibz In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    East of England
    thank you!

8. MROO

MROO Free Ranging

You have a great little corner to fill - and you're off to a good start by designing and building before your new biddies come home. Many of us (ahem ... like me!) did it backwards. Chicks first, building as we go!
    You've stumbled onto an awesome resource with BYC's coop design pages, but be forewarned! Some of the coops here on BYC will leave you with all sorts of wonderful ideas ... so many that you'll likely either get stymied by all of the options or empty your pockets trying to recreate all of the wonderful set-ups people have. It's like running amok in a candy store ... almost as bad as walking innocently into a store with bins full of adorable peeps ... you want 'em all!
    In the meantime, Welcome aboard! This is an awesome community, and we're glad you joined us!

9. Chibz

Chibz In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    East of England
    :D

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Chickens can be loud too......are you allowed to have poultry there?

Welcome to BYC! @Chibz
    Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2019-5-27_17-37-11.png

trumpeting_angel likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: