Want to set some eggs, need opinions on if they are fertile or infertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Manningjw, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two hens and 1 rooster that has been covering both. The mixed easter egger type hen I know is laying fertile eggs but the Red Star hen's first few eggs didn't look fertile to me and I am still on the fence about whether her most recent eggs are fertile. Pictured is one of her double yolk eggs(that I didn't want to hatch anyway for that reason).

What are your opinions?

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of what I think is an obviously fertile egg from my other hen:

[​IMG]

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    on the 1st picture it is too hard to see, but you are spot on with the arrow in the 2nd photo! a bullseye is an indicator of a fertile egg.

3. Manningjw

Yea my concern was the first set of eggs. I have seen my rooster mating with the red star, or atleast I think he was successful? The black hen I know is laying fertile eggs but the red stars eggs I am not confident in and hers are the eggs I want to have been fertilized by him.

4. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    give it another week and then check her eggs again.

5. Manningjw

I would be smart for me to wait - but I really want to get rid of this rooster I have right now, he is crowing a lot more than my last one and he isn't one i plan to keep once I hatch eggs from him.

He has been with these hens since the day he hatched (same hatch date - different parents though). I imagine if they are going to be fertile ever they should be now unless of course the problem is with the hen's reproductive system being too immature to produce a viable egg. Two hens to a single rooster should really increase my chances of a fertile egg I imagine.

6. Manningjw

Looking at the calender it seems that November first is the best day to set eggs so I guess I have another week anyhow! Thanks for your input and encouraging me to wait. I know that is the best advice but you hatching addicts know how hard that wait is...

7. Manningjw

Well I am now on day 8 of incubation and it turns out I had 100% fertility in the eggs I set! Hope I have a good hatch percentage of then. The power was out for 6 or so hours on day 5 so crossing fingers.

8. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by