Want to start building a coop to raise chickens on the side of our old barn in Vermont

RobVT

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 13, 2015
Hi Everybody!

Brand new to the forum and have LOTS of questions!

I am a total newbie. I have an old garage with an extra stall that is ready to be altered.

I have a 12' x 6' area just outside the area of the barn I hope to use for the coop.

I am hoping to build a small ramp for the chickens to be able to return inside to the coop from the outside.

As far as the interior of the stall goes, I want to make sure I frame out an area large enough to house a coop for 6-10 hens.

Would framing an area 6' x 6' be large enough for the interior coop area?

I have enclosed pics of the outside where the ramp would lead to the outside run, as well as the interior of the stall.

How much interior area do the chickens need? Or is the interior mainly intended for housing and egg laying? How many nesting boxes would I need? Is it better to have the interior coop raised off of the ground for warmth purposes during the cold, cold Winters we have here in VT?

Thank you and I look forward to the conversation!

Rob

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I've answered some of your questions:

Would framing an area 6' x 6' be large enough for the interior coop area?
This space provides a total of 36 square feet. Using the rule of thumb that chickens should have at least 4 square feet of inside space, you could fit up to nine chickens or so into this space. If they have sufficient access to outside, you may be able to squeeze by with a little less space. But, more space is better!
How much interior area do the chickens need?
As I said above, chickens should ideally have at least 4 square feet of interior space.
Or is the interior mainly intended for housing and egg laying?
The interior is used for roosting and laying. But, it is also a place for the chicken to live if they don't want to go outside. Often time when it gets cold, chickens won't want to go out. They need some space to move around, eat, and drink.
How many nesting boxes would I need?
The general rule is that one nest box for every 4 hens or so is sufficient. So, for 10 hens, three nest boxes would likely work.

Thank you for your answers!

No real reason, but wanted to use the space as efficiently as possible, as it is also used for storage.

Any thoughts on benefits of having the interior space raised about 30" off the ground? pros/cons? I would like to leave the 30" of wood on the outside of the barn and have a ramp for the chickens to climb up into the interior coop.

Thanks again!

You don't want to raise it. You will make your life easier if you can walk around inside.

You can leave the opening where it is. Just make a ramp up to it, a small landing than a ramp down. It just look like OSB board on the side so it's really no big deal to make the opening at ground level.

OK Thanks.

Since the interior of the stall won't have any outside light, I will have a window/screen opening above the entrance. There wouldn't be any good reason to have any other openings on the interior besides ventilation, correct? I want to have the interior coop as well insulated as possible for our frigid Winters.

Back
Top Bottom