Want to start building a coop to raise chickens on the side of our old barn in Vermont

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RobVT, Jan 13, 2015.

1. RobVT

RobVT New Egg

Jan 13, 2015
    Hi Everybody!

Brand new to the forum and have LOTS of questions!

I am a total newbie. I have an old garage with an extra stall that is ready to be altered.

I have a 12' x 6' area just outside the area of the barn I hope to use for the coop.

I am hoping to build a small ramp for the chickens to be able to return inside to the coop from the outside.

As far as the interior of the stall goes, I want to make sure I frame out an area large enough to house a coop for 6-10 hens.

Would framing an area 6' x 6' be large enough for the interior coop area?

I have enclosed pics of the outside where the ramp would lead to the outside run, as well as the interior of the stall.

How much interior area do the chickens need? Or is the interior mainly intended for housing and egg laying? How many nesting boxes would I need? Is it better to have the interior coop raised off of the ground for warmth purposes during the cold, cold Winters we have here in VT?

Thank you and I look forward to the conversation!

Rob[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

I've answered some of your questions:

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Any reason to not give the chickens the entire stall? More is always better especially in VT where they might spend months on end inside.

4. RobVT

RobVT New Egg

Jan 13, 2015
    Thank you for your answers!

No real reason, but wanted to use the space as efficiently as possible, as it is also used for storage.

Any thoughts on benefits of having the interior space raised about 30" off the ground? pros/cons? I would like to leave the 30" of wood on the outside of the barn and have a ramp for the chickens to climb up into the interior coop.

Thanks again!

5. Percheron chick

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    You don't want to raise it. You will make your life easier if you can walk around inside.

You can leave the opening where it is. Just make a ramp up to it, a small landing than a ramp down. It just look like OSB board on the side so it's really no big deal to make the opening at ground level.

6. RobVT

RobVT New Egg

Jan 13, 2015
    OK Thanks.

Since the interior of the stall won't have any outside light, I will have a window/screen opening above the entrance. There wouldn't be any good reason to have any other openings on the interior besides ventilation, correct? I want to have the interior coop as well insulated as possible for our frigid Winters.

7. Percheron chick

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Is there a S facing exterior wall? Put a window on that side with a roost in front of it for the girls to sunbathe on.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    Well said Brent!!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens