Want to start raising chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by batteryman17, May 20, 2016.

1. batteryman17

batteryman17 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2015
    We are interested in raising chickens. We would want them for egg laying only.
    We live in New England so they will need to be able to live in cold and hot weather. Any ideas on which breed would work best for me.
    I would also like them to be friendly enough to interact with young children.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    :welcome
    Everyone is a bit biased, but there are several poultry breed web sites that give the basics about each breed. Good luck.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Some breeds I would recommend are: Black Australorps, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, and Plymouth Rocks. If there are any I also recommend reading articles in the learning center (they are really helpful!).

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Got kids??? Gotta have at least a few Easter Eggers. You'll see them listed at the hatchery and feed store as Araucanas, Ameraucanas, and any other butchering of either name. But, if they are listed as a bird with varied color patterns, that will lay a blue green or even other colored egg, rest assured, it's an EE. Wonderful birds. Love the varied coloring. Love those blue/green eggs. Love the personality of the bird and their little pea comb, and tufted/bearded faces. For cold NE weather, I look for a bird that has small comb and non-feathered feet. If you want them to lay for a long time, stay away from the production birds from hatcheries: Black or red sex links, Cinnamon queens, and the like. They are egg spitting machines, lay well till they don't. Then they quickly succumb to some reproductive system illness. Sweet tempered bird that is often overlooked is the Dominique. I absolutely love their temperament, their super soft feathers, cuckoo pattern, rose comb, and they are super friendly. Good foragers. Apt to go broody. Only down side is that their eggs aren't large. Check out Henderson's chicken breed chart. I recommend a mixed flock. Why have all one color when you can have a bouquet of chickens and eggs?

5. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I love Barred (Plymouth) Rocks too. Good layers, hardy and friendly. Here is my Georgie (she was curious). They lay better than some EE, and though
    I love my Heritage RIR too I don't have kids, most hatchery ones are not as friendly.

6. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Georgie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. batteryman17

batteryman17 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2015
    What do u mean by hatchery?

8. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    The big breeding hatcheries where you can order chicks some of which supply feed stores.
    I have used Hoover Hatchery in IA for some chicks since they are NPIP and certified mycoplasma free.
    Anyway most of what these hatcheries sell as RIR have been bred for egg production. They have bred out broodiness and other characteristics along the way. You can find breeders of heritage RIR (see thread), that have kept old lines very strictly meeting breed standards. These birds are very carefully selected to preserve the traditional type and are carefully selected and culled.
    They retain the brick shape, dark maroon color, yellow legs, and other things. They are also culled for personality which the big hatcheries don't do much so they are a gentler bigger bird. The thread explains this much better.

9. abqferreira

abqferreira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    In my experience, Buff Orpingtons are friendly with kids and good layers. Have fun!

10. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2 I forgot to list them! I miss my Easter Eggers, I'm always looking for some in my area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by