Want to take chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by paeskie, Apr 24, 2011.

1. paeskie

paeskie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    I assume if my babies were hatched by a broody, they could be exploring the outdoors from day 1 or 2.
    I have four ten-day-olds, and one four-day-old. If the temp is 85 in the afternoon, can I let them out in the grass in the coop for awhile? What are the risks? All I can think of is they might eat something that would make them sick, or pick up a parasite I suppose?
    I don't want to take risks, but they seem so BORED in the brooder. When I let them out on the tile floor, they run around like...well, like chickens. They want to explore, and scratch, and eat bugs. It really makes me want to take them outside.
    What should I do?

2. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    i had mine out for a while starting around day 3. the weather was nice and they loved it. they have been out everyday when it is nice out.

3. chick on a stick

chick on a stick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    We have been bringing ours outside when the weather is nice, too. I started bringing them out when they were a week old.

4. BlackDogPack

BlackDogPack Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    I have "bittie runs" that I make with the lightweight poultry netting that you get from Lowes or other hardware stores. We make a wood frame (really not to hard) and staple the netting around it. I do this so they can be in areas of the yard that's not frequented by the rest of the flock, and it's easy to move where I want by myself. It's also easy to clean and disinfect with the water hose.

When I start moving mine over (at about a week old) I will dip their beaks in the water for at least the first few days so they know where the water is - just to be on the safe side. [​IMG] I also dip them again when I move them back to the brooder. By the time they are a couple weeks old I don't worry about it.

5. egg_tastic

egg_tastic Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    NC Foothills
    I brought my 10 out for the first time when they were 6 days old. It was a warm day, in the mid-upper 80s. They LOVED it! They did eat bugs, etc. The day before I had introduced a container of sand to them. I thought they might need some grit for eating all those bugs? Who knows, but it wasn't going to hurt to add sand! I ran out of sand some gave them so loose dirt from a recently tilled garden. They loved that as well. The dirt they dust bathed in, but not the sand. They are 1.5 weeks old now.

6. Chickiegirls2

Chickiegirls2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    If it is warm, you're good to go!!!!!!

7. duvetslug

duvetslug Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    P/boro
    phew! been putting mine (4wks) out during the day and back in at night and they are very happy; should I be doing anything to protect them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by