Want to wire a honeywell Thermostat to run and electrical outlet

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by psycoforsilkies, Dec 14, 2011.

1. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    Building a new coop, I want to wire a honeywell CT31a thermostat to and electrical outlet in my coop to run a radiant heat,in the winter and fans in the summer, but I am not real tech savy, I know basics but hoping for some input.

will post pic's of progress of coop we have the base and floor built, working on wall frames in garage, because wouldn't you know no rain all year here but the minute we want to build somethign outside rain, rain , rain.

I know i can buy these but i want to have more control of the heat than the pre set ones

2. seanb

seanb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    You'll need a 24 volt power supply and a relay to be able to control a 120 volt receptacle with that thermostat. You may want to use a line voltage thermostat instead.

3. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    Hmm ok will have to dig deeper in to this we are building the walls and want to run everything in the walls water and electrical so chickens dont have acess to it. I got the thermostats free because soemone up graded from the ones that came with thier new heat/ac unit.

4. seanb

seanb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    I ran armored cable in my coop. They can peck at that all they want and all they'll get is a headache.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Make it real easy for yourself get a Reddy Heater Thermostat, all you have to do is plug it into the wall then plug your heater into it.
    [​IMG]

Chris

6. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
  7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Yeah, me too. I use a plug in thermostat. I bought it at a greenhouse supply. Plug the thermostat into the wall plug, then plug your heater into the thermostat.

Wiring thermostats from scratch is above my pay grade and the plug-in was a lot cheaper than paying an electrician.

The only thing: if you intend to run a heater off of it, you need to purchase a heavy duty thermostat with heavy gauge wiring. You can buy little cheap light weight ones, but I wouldn't trust them with that heavy a load on them. Also, the greenhouse one is weather resistant, which is important if it is going to be outdoors, even if it is sheltered.

I don't heat my coop. I use the thermostat to heat my fruit trees while they are in bloom so I don't lose my fruit crop to frost.

8. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    A 110v electric base board thermostat will work, low temp is pretty high though. 55* IIRC.

Best bet is to buy a thermocube and plug directly into it. They have a bunch of temp ranges to choose from.

9. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    Quote:Actually in the interests of saving energy you can find the baseboard thermostats that go as low as 40 now.

[​IMG]

Junction box on the right is the input, one lead goes to the timer the other goes to my thermostat.

10. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    Is it neccesary in your climate to heat? I am in the chicago area and we get single digit temps and lower through the winter and I have never heated the coop. Just a thought. I hear on here all the time about people not heating coops even when it is well below zero.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by