Want your opinions please

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by thndrdancr, Jun 11, 2007.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Ok, I would love to have everyones opinion on this.

I have a big momma possum that last year got into EVERYTHING and was just a nuisance (going into garage to poop, digging under drive, ate most of the garden produce, etc). That was BEFORE I got my girls.
    Now, I seen her again last night in my drive when I went to close up. I dont quite have my coop done yet, but I would like to know....

1) Should I try to trap her NOW, BEFORE I put my girls out...(I hate to kill something that hasnt even attempted yet, but this gal is a darned pain)

or
    2) Wait and see if she even tries for my girls, THEN try to get a trap an get her.

I only have two girls, cant afford to lose either one, and it would break my heart to think I didnt make the coop "safe" enuff. I am trying to build Ft. Knox, but from what I read here over and over again, even those built well sometimes have the predators get in. [​IMG]

Thanks for your input.
    Jill

2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    She will try to get your girls.
    Possums, like any other predator, will go after anything they can get.
    Trap her now and get her relocated before you suffer any losses...JMHO

3. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

If you saw her, you should take it that she's scoping the place. [​IMG] It'd be like putting a banquet in front of her; the question wouldn't be if she'll try, but when.

They're vicious little buggers, in my experience, so relocate it as far (or as deep [​IMG] ) as possible. And be sure to wear heavy gloves!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by