Want your opinions!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickChickHorray, Jan 21, 2019.

1. ChickChickHorray

ChickChickHorray Chirping

Mar 3, 2018
    West Tn, Zone 7
    We currently have a pre-fab coop from TSC and we are praying it stays up thru winter! Looking at sheds that we can convert to a nice coop- wondering thoughts on wood vs the plastic ones or vinyl siding? Would love to see pictures of converted sheds. We are on a tight budget but want to go as large as possible so this decision is a big one- this coop/ shed has to last more than one year! Are the plastic sheds hotter in summer than wood? Do either choice have problems with ventilation? Has anyone had a serious problem with using a shed turned coop? Problems with wasps putting nests in wood sheds? Carpenter bees? Mites? Newbies so any thought is appreciated!
    We are in West Tn, Zone 7

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Wendy Case, Stockpilejoy and Nardo like this.
  2. Notaneggspurt

Notaneggspurt Songster

May 17, 2016
    TN
    My Coop
    :welcome
    What general area are you in?

Wendy Case and ChickNanny13 like this.
  3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Yes, what is your location ... You may want to update your profile with your location, helps us know when responding your possible weather conditions & predators and time zone.

Wendy Case likes this.
  4. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Crowing

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    The cheapest way to get a shed is buy a used one like off Craigslist ... Or build it yourself with re-purposed materials ... even building with new materials ... is cheaper than buying ready-made.

Wood would be easier to modify than the plastic ... ventilation is very important ...

5. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Free Ranging

Nov 2, 2018
    Do you have an old tin garden shed? They work if you have the time to insulate and do all that to it

Stockpilejoy likes this.
  6. ChickChickHorray

Mar 3, 2018
    West Tn, Zone 7
    We’re in West Tn, Zone 7. I updated the post to include it

7. ChickChickHorray

Mar 3, 2018
    West Tn, Zone 7
    We’re in West Tennessee, Zone 7, I updated the post to include it. Thanks!

Wendy Case likes this.
  8. Stockpilejoy

Stockpilejoy Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    I have always loved the idea of a plastic hen house made out of a storage shed with windows since walk- in is my preferred choice... But it would be a pricey figure. Plastic seems so easy to clean with less an issue with mites than the wood. I would love to find a cheap used little tike home and convert it into a hen house adding hardware cloth for windows and a roosting bar..I bet I could even manage to get a drop board in there. :) Thinking the convert process would be so much fun. If I move I plan on going plastic. My coops now are wood.

9. ChickChickHorray

Mar 3, 2018
    West Tn, Zone 7
    Do you have a lot of problems with mites in your wood coop? Is the wood coop super difficult to clean? Thanks!

10. Nardo

Nardo Crowing

Sep 26, 2014
    North Texas
    My Coop
    Stockpilejoy likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: