Wanted 3, bought 5, Wife won't let one go.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hodawg, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Hodawg

Hodawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, that's the current situation. When I hit up Mrs. Hodawg a couple of months ago about getting some laying hens, I had her sold on the idea of only having 3 hens...no roo's. Then the lady at the feed store where we were going to be ordering them convinced me that "you might as well get 4, they take up no more room than 3!" So the Mrs's response was "What? Now it's 4 hens???" Then when it came time to actually order them, I told Mrs. Hodawg "OK, we want 3 but will take up to 4. I'm going to order 5, just in case one of the chicks doesn't survive or one is a roo. That way we'll have better chances of having 3 surviving hens." Seemed like pretty good logic to me, and Mrs. Hodawg agreed to ordering 5 peepers. The understanding all along was that we would be keeping 4 birds...tops. Tonight I am informed by my wonderful wife that none of the birds will be given away.

Oh yeah, she has surely become a helplessly addicted "Chick Mamma". Life, sometimes, is funny stuff. Now she doesn't even want me to move them out to the garage next week into the secondary (larger, as previously planned) brooder. This weekend I will be building a new secondary brooder so that she can keep them inside the house until they are ready to move out to the new coop/run. I wouldn't doubt, at this point anyway, that when it comes time to move the birds out to the coop that she'll ask me to pull the travel trailer around back so she can keep an eye on them.

This is turning into a real hoot!!!

Beers y'all,
    Ken

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] Your wife has been bitten by the chicken bug. Chicken math will soon consume you. You might want to start building a mega coop now. Don't forget the broody room, the naughty pen, and the hospital area. Oh, and I'm sure your wife will want at least three breeding pens and maybe a smaller coop just for her future bantams.

[​IMG]

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    LOL Repeat this same story x everybody who belongs to and frequents this sight. [​IMG] It has happened to us all!!!!!

Jenny

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Another member succumbs to the fate of chicken math. [​IMG] It is addictive for sure. [​IMG]

5. Dirtyhip

Dirtyhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    When are the chickens going to take over the travel trailer? [​IMG]

6. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I love to hear when a spouse converts. EXCELLENT!

I'm working on my BF. He now gets to be the person to collect all laid eggs. This helps their excitement!

7. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Hehe. Too true....sounds just like us....and the funniest thing is that the DH said NO CHICKENS. We now have 20 hens, 1 roo, 2 ducks, 3 pheasants, 2 chukers and a dozen quail. The original coop and run, plus a tunnel leading to the "playroom" with a pool for the ducks. A seperate hutch and run for the quail and chukers and my most recent brooding hutch with run.... no chickens. Hmph! Yea right! And all in 2 year's time! I think its time for addition #2 this spring.... I want to raise meat bbirds, as all mine now have names and I COULD NEVER kill THEM.....

8. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    LOL! Thats what we said! We said 3 TOPS and ended up with 11!!! LOL! [​IMG] We ALL went a little Chicken crazy!

9. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] That's Great !!

10. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    I don't know if you have a coop or run built yet but you might want to tell your wife that bigger is better, they'll be happier with alot more room! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by