Wanted...a dog to adopt! (MA)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by UrbanMama, Dec 21, 2008.

1. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I was wondering if any BYC'ers in the New England area have a puppy or dog that they are looking for a home for? We're looking for gentle breeds (doesn't have to be pure) under a 1yo (or close) healthy etc.

Here's our situation...I'm a stay at home, homeschooling mom to 4 kids (2, 4, 10, & 11) so the puppy would never lack attention. We are one of 6 houses on a dead end street and we have a huge yard (which is surrounded by woods)

We have a 5yo yellow lab...she's actually the reason I'm searching for another dog! Recently, my MIL came over with her Golden puppy and Daisy had so much fun rolling and playing with her. I can see now, she should have a canine buddy to keep her company.

I've been perusing craigslist (both local and a bit further) and they all have these ridiculous "adoption fees" or "rehoming fees" [​IMG] (500$ for a mixed breed 4yo dog that isn't housebroken???? [​IMG] ) I would rather spend the money on the dog and it's needs (vet, meds, food etc)

Please let me know if you have a puppy for our family [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Aww I hope you find one soon.

3. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    Did you try the local animal shelter? Maybe you could save a dogs life.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Oh!! I definitely second the animal shelter idea! Or maybe you could check into a breed rescue? Rescue dogs go through a lot of screening, training, and have all shots. Plus they are spayed/neutered already! That would be a wonderful idea!

Too bad you weren't closer. There's a person here that has black lab/mountain cur mised pups FTGH, they are so adorable!! If I didn't have 2 dogs already I would have taken one!

Hope you get your babies a new baby!

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
  7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    You could also try petfinder.com where you put in your zipcode, click on dog, and go from there. Great place.

8. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thank you all sooo much for those links. I was really excited when I went on Petfinder...there were several dogs/puppies that we would have loved to adopt. Unfortunately, the adoption fees are in the several hundred dollar range!!! [​IMG]

I think it's really sad that you can go to a breeder and buy a purebreed dog for cheaper than you can rescue a dog from a shelter. (One at the local shelter was 350-450$ and in the newspaper they had purebreed puppies going from 250$ +!!!) I understand helping to pay for shots etc that need to be done while they have the animal, but that just seems excessive....and sad. Almost like they are trying to capitolize on an animals misfortunes. And we hear about dogs having to be euthanized every day.... [​IMG]

We are blessed to have a wonderful dog and were just looking for a sibling for her. It's not a must that we get another dog...but it would have been nice to find a buddy for her. Know what I mean?

Thanks again all...I'll just keep looking. [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Wow! That much on petfinder? That is crazy! The ones I usually see are less than $100 most of the time. I hope you can find a new baby! Did you check out any breed rescues? Golden Retrievers are my fav dogs, and they always have a lot in the rescues! That type would be great with your kids and your other dog, imo. Good luck!

10. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by