Wanted! A Good Giblet Gravy Recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by SunChick, Oct 28, 2007.

1. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    My mother could never make a good gravy from giblets. I have the desire to try. Any one have good one they would like to share? [​IMG]

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    You need MissPrissy email her

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    First off, I don't measure. I cook by sight and feel. I know this is a problem for many who ask for recipes.

There are other cooked gravies from fat/oil drippings and flour but those can cause a headache for the beginner. This cornstarch gravy is easiest. If you cook down a really rich broth your gravy will be good. If you only whip up a thin clear broth or use store canned broth you won't get much flavor for the gravy.

I use a good rich broth either from the chicken or turkey. If I have stock from my freezer I cook the giblets in stock making it richer.

If I don't have stock I cook the giblets* with celery, onion, carrot, garlic, salt and pepper with a little butter and make a rich stock. Cook it long and slow, add water if you let it cook away too fast.

Also boil an egg or two.

Once youhave a good stock base strain everything out of the broth so that your broth is clear. You should have about 4 - 6 cups.

Finely chop the gizzard, liver and pick the meat from the neck. Chop the boiled egg.

Bring your stock back to a slow boil.

Make a slurry of cornstarch (about 2 tbsp cornstarch and 1/2 c. water -maybe a little more water) - stir it well so it is not lumpy.

While your broth is slowly boiling, drizzle in the cornstarch while you stir. You will see and feel it begin to thicken. If you get it too thick add some plain water or more broth and wisk it. Take it off the heat. The boiling makes the cornstarch thicken. When you get it to the right thickness for your preference add in your giblets and egg.

The giblets should suspend in the gravy. Some will sink but a good thick gravy they will suspend in it.

Serve with dressing.

*giblets = liver, gizzard, heart, neck, fat

** I use the heart for the stock but I don't put it in my gravy. I don't like the texture in my gravy.

Edited to add - if you use the chicken fat for your stock don't chop it for your gravy. Throw it out. Your dog with love it, too.

edited again - If I have them chicken backs cooked with the giblets are good too. The back has some meat and 2 beautiful 'oysters' but the fat gives good flavor.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  4. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Atta girl, I knew you would come through and I been waiting

Poetry sheer poetry! [​IMG]

Randy

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Thank you, Randy!

6. ORChick

ORChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Oregon
    MissPrissy, thats how I do my gravy too, but the egg is a new idea - sounds good, thank you. I use flour rather than cornstarch, but for a beginner the cornstarch is, as you point out, easier. One thing for all gravy makers out there, use a wire whisk! With a whisk, and a strong arm, you won't have to worry about lumps, as you would using a fork or spoon.

7. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Sounds Yummy. Can't wait to try that one! Thanks so much Miss Prissy! [​IMG] Maybe this sounds like a dumb question, but are you boiling that egg in the broth? [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:No. I do them in another pot. Your broth needs to slow cook for hours and hours. Your egg would be rubber [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by