wanted-advice on buying a incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Noelg, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Noelg

Noelg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Im thinking bout trying my hand at hatching.

The hovabator 1588 is what im thinking about purchasing, after much reading on the subject, temp is a huge factor! Is there one that would be a better purchase for the money? Or can anyone with experienced with this model tell me if they've had any trouble with it holding temp?

There is a Brinsea one for$99, would that one be a smarter choice? i only would want to set about a dozen at a time right now, but chicken math might kick in:D

So is bigger better for this purchase too?

TIA

noelg

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I loved my brinsea so much I now have two. Easy to set up, easy to maintain temp and humidity and easy to clean up after the hatch. I've had great hatches with it. I highly recommend the auto turner as well.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    whatever you get , get an auto turner with it.. some people think that turning eggs by hand is a novelty, and it is, but the novelty wears thin when you are at a party and you have to leave to go home and turn the eggs..

get the turner, and don't use it for the first batch or so.. then you will have it when you want it..

I have no trouble with Hova or LG.. I have never seen a modern Brinsea.. I have one that is about 50 years old.. It is a hand turner, so I never used it.. I bought it just for spare parts..

4. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Pay a little more and get the brisnea mini advance..I love it, and I also bought another one..the same kind

Xoxo

5. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I have 2 LG's with fans and turners. I do like them. But we have wood heat and our home temps can fluctuate a lot... which makes a pain for keeping the temp in the bators level... I believe the 1588 auto adjusts for this doesn't it? If so it will be a very nice option.

6. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

The Genesis 1588 has factory pre-set temps and they have held perfectly for me. The biggest problem I have faced with this incubator or any incubator for that matter, is humidity. If you master the humidity you will have a successful hatch [​IMG] Most hygrometers are not accurate and need to be calibrated by the salt test. I use the Exo Terra reptile hygrometer and after some really bad hatches, I tested it with the salt test and found that it was off by 10%. I had been keeping my humidity too high!! [​IMG] After making adjustments for the the difference, I had some great hatches! I have recently upgraded to the Brinsea octagon 20 advance EX which has the auto humidity pump. Now it does the humidity for me and I LOVE that! Just did two hatches in it and had a 100% hatch both times! Now I use my 1588 for hatching.
    GOOD LUCK! [​IMG]

Quote:

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Quote:x2 [​IMG] the same day i got mine, i put 4 eggs in it, and 21 days later i got a 4/4 hatch [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by