1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanted: Advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mimis chicks, Nov 12, 2013.

1. mimis chicks

mimis chicks New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    Hello! I live in south Florida. My son is about to construct the chicken coop for about 3 or 4 chickens. My yard in fenced in and I have a golden retriever (11 months old) pup. I am seeking advice on coop size and also what to do when we have frost warnings. It doesn't happen often but I want to make sure I am prepared. Is it advantageous to get chicks and let the dog get to know them as they grow into adult chickens?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Your birds are unlikely to be affected by a short cold snap - chickens are more sensitive to heat than to cold. The Coops section has much advice on building coops, and the Florida thread (look in the Where am I - Where are You section) will have others that can give you housing advice.

3. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

4 sq.ft. inside coop and 10 sq.ft. outside in run, minimum each bird.
    Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I'm a fan of keeping dogs/chickens separate so I can't help you there, but there are plenty of threads on here regarding training dogs to leave the chickens alone, just use the search bar at the top of the page. Good luck to you.

6. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from Texas! Baby chicks need to be kept warm, but after 6-8 weeks they should be able to handle frost just fine.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Dogs tend to think of chickens as squeaky toys and after the chick doesn't move anymore they go on to another one. I wouldn't ever let dogs and chickens be loose together unless the dog over time proves that it will not go after the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by