Wanted: Ancona Ducks in SW Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kitchwitch, Aug 8, 2010.

1. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    I've decided to get a small flock of ducks and after doing some research I want to own Anconas. I'm not planning on getting any until spring next year but after finding the few hatcheries that have them I realized that I would be spending a pretty penny for my ducks and my husband wants me to find another (cheaper) way of getting my ducklings.
    I figured this would be the best place to find out if there is anyone near me (WV, E. Ohio, SW. PA) that is selling eggs, ducklings or full grown birds. Again, I'm not planning on starting this project until Spring (we don't even have our duck hut built yet) but I'm just doing some research and making some connections. Thanks!

2. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Cmon people, help her out!

3. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    Anconas are awesome!! You can find a greater selection of hatching eggs in the spring compared to now it seems. People on this board or on ebay or other sites ship them and you can see feedback and reviews of their packing, viability, etc. I got my flock as a batch of eggs off ebay and they are lovely! It's very exciting to have the experience of incubating the eggs and watching them hatch! [​IMG]

Here are some pics of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    [​IMG]
    toadbriar,
    i think you have an intruder in with your anconas!
    check it out, the all white bird, trying to keep a low profile!
    [​IMG]

What beautiful ducks!
    thank you for sharing these pictures.

beth

5. toadbriar

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    LOL good catch! She's Ancona too, though: sometimes they hatch all-white, and I had a few in one of my batches, when some of the eggs I got came from a flock with a white hen [​IMG]

6. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG]

Thank you!
    I love the ducks!
    [​IMG]

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Toadbriar--where are your conas from? They are gorgeous--VERY nice coloring. I don't know much about type in anconas, but that is the nicest coloring I think I've seen. [​IMG]

8. toadbriar

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    Thank you! They are from this seller on ebay http://myworld.ebay.com/icatchbigcats They were packaged wonderfully. (I know he only has gameboy stuff in his store right now) Out of that set - I think there were 16 eggs total shipped & 12 went to lockdown - I got 1 white, 1 lavender, 1 blue, 3 black, & 3 brown! This made me really happy because I have not found Anconas here in New England in any color except black - looking forward to doing my part to change that! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  9. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    You're ducks are so beautiful! I'm going to keep the ebay seller you mentioned in mind come spring. I cannot wait! I'm excited just thinking about it!

10. toadbriar

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    Glad to be of help! I did the same searching last year as you're doing now, so I'm glad to be able to supply helpful information! And thank you - I really love my ducks - they're so much fun. I feel very fortunate to have lucked out with such a nice foundation flock. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by