Wanted : AUSSIE , or other breed good with birds Central Fl

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by pascopol, May 3, 2009.

1. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I am looking for a dog or puppie of a medium size dog good with birds like Aussie, Great Pyrenee, Anatolian, could be a mix with those kind of breeds.

1 acre fenced, we have a smaller dog but she is not with us all the time cause our son takes her to his apartment now and then.

If you have a dog you wish to rehome, please PM me, giving your location so I can see if it would be feasible to travel, no more than about 120 miles max from Tampa Fl.

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    isnt an Aussie a hearding dog?Woudnt it try and heard the poor chickens all day?

3. emmalynn

emmalynn Silkies Sebbies OEGBs

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    There are aussies available here on this site- pamperedpoultry has some.

4. pascopol

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:You are confusing Australian Shephard with Australian Cattle dog which is used to drive cattle.

5. dr8goons

dr8goons Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    VA
    I have a 15 week old female aussie id be willing to drive her to flordia if your intertsead pm me

6. pascopol

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I can see that, this is too far for me, I am looking for something in South East closer to me.

7. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Austrialin sheperds are herding dogs too. Have been raising for 10 years now. Train them well and they will listen to you.

8. pascopol

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:So they are going to herd my chicks following their instinct, or you can train them not to herd the birds?

9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Temperament

Australian Shepherds are easy going, perpetual puppies that love to play. Courageous, loyal and affectionate, they are excellent children's companions that are great with active children. A devoted friend and guardian, for they are naturally protective. Very lively, agile and attentive - they are eager to please, with a sixth sense about what the owner wants. Australian Shepherds are highly intelligent and easy to train. Though aggressive when at work with livestock, the Aussie is gentle with human friends. Australian Shepherds need lots of exercise and a job to do, as the breed is very intelligent, active and easily bored. Without enough mental and physical exercise and or a lack of a true pack leader, can cause them to become nervous and destructive if left alone. Socialize well to prevent them from becoming suspicious of strangers. Working lines of Australian Shepherds may be too energetic to be suitable pets for people who do not have a very active lifestyle. Some like to nip people's heals in an attempt to herd them. They are quiet workers, unlike some breeds, which are bred to bark constantly at livestock. This breed is not usually dog aggressive.
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australianshepherd.htm

try this site its lots of info on livestock gaurdian dogs and and all the diffrent kind..

http://www.lgd.org/

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  10. hollybird

hollybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    lebanon
    look at flat coated or rough collies. i have a lab x collie 7 month old puppy that is safe with everything. even if the guineas or chicks run from him he doesn't chase them. he licks the sheep, cows and rabbit. my two boys can fall on him or take his toys and he's ok with all that. they are a great family farm dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by