Wanted Baby Turkeys

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Dwightm, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Dwightm

Dwightm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2007
    I am looking for a couple of youg turkeys to start my own flock. I live in Kentucky and willing to pick up if fairly close. I am not sure what would be a good breed to start out with. I', going to raise them for meat and for selling. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Too bad you're so far away. There's some shows coming up this fall- maybe you can find some there.

3. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    What part of Ky?? Im in Tennessee (near the Ky border) and I have a (1) Royal Palm Turkey thats a little better than 2 mths old.. Im not really set up for a turkey (impulse buy).. Did you know you can order Turkeys??

4. Dwightm

Jul 4, 2007
    I live real close to the Ohio border. I have been looking on the web to buy some. I just recently joined a heritadge Turkey site on Yahoo. Hopefully I can find someone local to buy from. I'm a little hesitant about buying from just anyone off of the internet unless I can see what i'm buying. Im' trying to find out what kind of breeds would be best for what I am going to do, so I'm kinda depending on someone else to help me out. Buying in person would give me a chance to speak to the person and hopefully gain knowledge and get some new ideas.. Any recommendations of people raising turkeys would be greatly appreciated.

5. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    oh thats ok.. I decided I couldnt sale him anyway.. hes just to cute.. and I cant wait to see him full feathered.. [​IMG] .. Theres alot of good books out there.. maybe thats an option.. Good Luck..

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Are you near whitehouse or cross plains?

7. Dwightm

Jul 4, 2007
    Quote:Are you near whitehouse or cross plains?

Im in the middle of pourtsmouth Ohio and Cincinatti Ohio. In a little town called Vanceburg in Ky.

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Uh....I meant fluffychickenmama....she said she was from TN near KY border.

9. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Dwight......I started with the Royal Palms. They are not very large...and have a great personality. With all of our kids moved out, and most of them moved away...we dont need HUGE turkeys for our table. Mine are just 17 weeks old, or there abouts....so we wont have table turkeys untill next fall, IF they lay and hatch! LOL

10. Dwightm

Jul 4, 2007
    Hey justusnak, If you know anyone that would be interested in selling a couple to get me started email me would ya. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by