Wanted: Barley/vegetable Soup Recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Pupsnpullets, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Anyone got any good recipes for barley soup. The only 2 I found had either ham bone (don't like the flavour) or oxtail in it. My mother used to make a nice one but she's long gone now and I don't have the recipe. I love a lot of veggies in it.

Thanks.

2. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Hi, Barb -

My wife makes the most awesome beef barley soup. It's not a real winter until I walk into the house and smell it in the air. Mmmmmm.

I don't have the recipe, but I'll get it from her as soon as I can, and post it here.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You could use a roasted beef shank for the meat. It is a really inexpensive cut. I get it at my local Mexican market.

4. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    If you want a totally veggie soup with barley in, you can always use a mushroom veggie stock--make a stock out of onions, carrots, celery, seasonings and a handful of dried mushrooms. DH adds Marmite (yeast extract) too, I prefer adding a Parmesan cheese rind. If you boil the mushrooms in a separate bowl in the microwave, then strain out the liquid and add the liquid to the stock, you can chop the mushrooms and add them back to the soup at the end. Then just add to the stock whatever veggies you like (I normally add a bag of whatever frozen mixed veggies are on sale) and add some barley. Simmer until cooked.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I add mushrooms AND beef [​IMG] But yeah...mushroom stock adds some excellent flavor.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I usually make a rich stock with the turkey carcass after we get sick of turkey sandwiches. Add barley, celery, carrots and whatever you want along with a packet of onion soup mix, garlic and more onion.

Serve with sourdough bread.

Of course we are sick of turkey barley soup now too, but Thanksgiving is just around the corner again. [​IMG]

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Friendship soup has beef and barley...and tons of beans, peas, rice and pasta...

any recipe site will have the listing. i made a bunch in jars for Christmas.

8. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Quote:Hi Terrielacy. I neglected to mention I had made a great stock out of turkey carcase which I'm planning to use. My s.o is vegetarian, and while I can get by using meat stock, bits of meat floating around is too much for him.

Allchookup - love the name by the way - I'd love you wife's recipe.

I'll make the soup for me and then put a a couple of quarts aside for my elderly neighbour which I will add meat too, so any recipes will be gratefully considered [​IMG]

9. Poppycock

Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    Here's my favorite one:

Beef Barley Soup
    2 lbs beef short ribs
    1 onion, chopped
    4 large carrots, thickly sliced
    3 large celery stalks, thickly sliced
    2 large cloves garlic, minced
    1 bay leaf
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 can Swanson's chicken broth (can substitute w/ buillion cube/water)
    1 can Swanson's beef broth
    1 can French Onion Soup (can omit)
    1 16 oz can Italian Stewed Tomatoes
    3/4 cup barley

Brown meat. Add vegetables and saute. Add all other ingredients except barley. Add enough water to cover meat and vegetables. Simmer 1 hour, or until meat is shreddable (Depending on the short ribs, I've had to cook much longer than 1 hour. If they are meaty, I've just cut the meat into chunks and browned them. If they were more bone, I roasted them first and then added them with the liquid) Add barley. Simmer until barley is tender, approx. 1/2-1 hour. You can add an additional can of beef broth is you think it is too thick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by