Wanted: Barnevelder Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by ascott1978, May 27, 2008.

1. ascott1978

ascott1978 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    Subject line says it best. Looking for Barnevelder eggs so that I can hatch and raise them here in Texas.

If eggs aren't available to ship, please point me to a breeder here in Texas. At minimum, I like to be put on a waiting list of sorts.

2. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    There are sellers of them on eggbid and one in particular I know is in Texas already, and supposedly has really good stock.
    HTH,
    Kristi

3. ascott1978

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    No luck finding them still. I replied on this chain hoping to draw more attention. If any one out there has contacts, I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

4. ascott1978

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    I guess I'm finding out why they say they are extremely rare. I've e-mailed nearly 7 hatcheries and about twelve individuals around the US, and no one has responded or been able to help. One even responded saying he got out of them due to inbreeding across the US. I honestly never thought finding a certain breed would be so hard. Then if I do find some, will I encounter the same issues that the guy warned about.

5. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I am one of the ones you contacted. I didn't have any eggs available currently.

The Barnevelders are very difficult to find. I have been able to get eggs from two other breeders this year. I had two chicks hatch out of the one group and the others are still in the incubator.

I am trying to get new non-related blood in my group, however it is a problem with so few breeders.

I have hatched several different setting of eggs and there seems to have a few barnies with either crooked toes or straddle legs. The other breeds that hatched at the same time are not showing the same problems. I have hatched eggs from other barnevelder breeders and the leg problems seem to be a problem in those flocks also.

Other than this problem, they actually are pretty easy keepers and lay a very large egg. They are very lovely birds and I would encourage you to continue to looking for them. I got my first barnevelder from Ideal three years ago, however I was on the waiting list for a long time.

I will not have any eggs available until fall or spring. I am setting and hatching all the eggs that I am getting.

Good luck with your search.

6. ascott1978

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. The only way to get them to be successful is continued efforts. I'm interest in the future if you remember me. I'm also on the waiting list for Ideal as well. With hopes I'll get some, someday. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  7. ascott1978

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    In reference to your first ones you got from Ideal, did you have any hatching / deformity issues with them?

8. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Since most of my original Barnevelders came from Ideal, I would have to say yes that they had problems. I am not sure where Ideal gets their hatching eggs so you could get non related birds from mine if they have several suppliers of hatching eggs.

I did get eggs from the breeder in Texas and I had same problems with legs from those eggs. The little ones with the leg problems don't make it because they can't get around. I have tried all the various things to correct but they have not worked. I guess this is natures way of insuring that the strongest survive.

I will put you on contact list.

9. ascott1978

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    Thank you.

I'm also starting to understand why many good breeders don't ship during the summer. Duh, heat fries eggs. Anyway, thanks for the support and information you have shared. Looking forward to some eggs in the future.

10. chook-in-eire

chook-in-eire Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    I have good Barnevelders and send out quite a lot of hatching eggs but I'm in Ireland. What are the reg's for sending eggs to the US? Is it allowed at all?

chook

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by