Wanted: Black Star Sex Link Rooster

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Kelshay, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Kelshay

Kelshay New Egg

Oct 21, 2009
    Melrose
    I'm in North Central Florida and am looking to purchase a Black Star Sex link rooster, nearby hopefully. I have about a dozen young black star hens and am looking for a purebred rooster so we can have some purebred chicks. Anyone has one, please let me know. Thanks

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Any sex-linked bird bred back to each other will not breed true. They are a hybird bird.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] from a fellow Floridian!

Katy is correct, the Sex-Links are hybrids and so you couldn't breed them together to get more of the same. There are folks on this forum, especially in the Breeds & Genetics section, who could tell you what breeds to put together to get the sex-links, and also what you'd get if you bred 2 sex-links together. I'm sure they'd be nice big birds, but not sex-links.

I happen to have a hybrid rooster for sale here, he looks like a Barred Rock but I don't know who his daddy is. He must have come from a Barred Rock hen but his sire was either a Brown Leghorn or a Plymouth Rock rooster. Let me know if you're interested, I'm in western West Palm Beach.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I agree with the others. Black Sexlinks are not purebreeds, they are a hybrid cross of usually a RIR roo( Hiwever they can be produced from any solid colored ( non barred and not dominant white roo) on Barred Rock hens, produces Black hens and Barred roos. If you cross these sexlinked offspring, since the roo is barred, in theory all of the resulting offspring should be barred, probalbly dark barred with goldish leakage coming through as well. However I have never crossed Black Sexlinks with each other so I can't tell you for sure. You should put a post in the Colors, Genetics,& Showing section and ask if anyone has done that cross before. But I can tell you, you won't get Black Sexlinks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by