WANTED: Blue Orp Eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by cyanne, Nov 5, 2008.

1. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I am planning to start a Blue Australorp project in the Spring and I just had a silkie go broody. She's currently trying to hatch 2 fake eggs and stealing all of the eggs that my other chickens lay near her so I thought I might get a jump start on my Blue Aussie project by buying a small batch of hatching eggs and seeing if I can get lucky and hatch out a nice Blue Orp roo. I already have 3 nice little aussie hens to start off with.

Of course, since I WANT a rooster this time they will probably all be hens!

Anyway, I have seen some BEAUTIFUL blue orps on here and I am wondering if I can persuade someone to sell me enough to put under my determined little silkie. Maybe a little Suede Jr? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wish I could help you out with a Suede, Jr, but he has one blue hen and she only lays every few days, not enough to send except as extras in an order of Barred Rocks. I'm sure you can find some, maybe even one of his sons that someone has around the country.

3. cyanne

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Darn! He is so gorgeous!

Well, anyone else out there have some blue orp eggs? Not sure how many I should get. How many eggs can a silkie hen sit on, anyway? Should I buy a dozen just in case some don't make it through the mail or start to develop?

This is my first time buying eggs so I'd appreciate any tips!

4. leghorn dude

leghorn dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Conroe tx
    i am supposed to be picking up some blue orps chicks in about a week i may end up with an extra roo or 2 i would love to help out with a project like this and every now and then i go towards austin if this sounds like somethin you would be interested in just shoot me a pm

5. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

howdy, i too am starting a blue australorp project, let me know how things work out for you. perhaps we can get some more folks interested in a variety that has been accepted by the australians, here in america.

how would you like to swap some eggs in about a year so we can get some different bloodlines on the farm.

ive been raising champion black australorps since 1996 and have won several poultry shows with my birds and the greenlee county fair 5 years in a row. my astros are quality. its the orpingtons that im also having problems getting. it looks like 2009 will be when they will be available.
    also let me know if your able to find eggs before then and i will let you know if i find any.

i would love for the A.P.A. to let us in with our new birds!
    the best of luck to you
    chet

6. cyanne

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Ooh, fancy australorps! Unfortunately all I have to start with are hatchery birds, though I think mine are fairly nice. I was able to get some orp eggs from TuffOldHen and I currently have them under a broody silkie. This is her first time hatching so hopefully she will follow through and I will get at least one blue and/or splash Orp rooster!

And I would definitely be willing to swap eggs in the future to broaden the genetic pool. [​IMG]

This is my first breeding project, so I hope it turns out well, I just love my Australorps girls and the idea of having them in new colors is exciting.

7. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:Cool! I just bought a pair of Show Quality Black Australorps this last weekend!

8. lostsoulhelpmejebus

lostsoulhelpmejebus Incubating Fool

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    Cyanne,

I know of a person in Iowa who has 2 splash Orp boys she is willing to part with. I actually wanted one of them but it is nearly 200 miles 1 way for me so I could not take advantage her generosity. I wish you luck. I currently have some black Australorps in the 'bater right now.

9. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Cool! I just bought a pair of Show Quality Black Australorps this last weekend!

right on! did you buy them at a show or do you know a breeder? whats their name?

10. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Good luck with your project. I am really hoping to get my hands on some Blue Orps. this spring. I have some Blue Andalusian crossbreds and have really fallen in love with the blue color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by