Wanted: Broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Daidohead, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Daidohead

Daidohead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Red Bluff, Ca
    Is there anything I can do to increase the chances of a hen going broody ? Are there any feeds, suppliments or other non dangerous to the chicken type stuff that can easily be done to nudge them into a broody mood ?

My Ladies are all EE fence jumper specials. They are fed layer crumbles, scratch, and oyster shell. They free range 4 hours or so a day.

2. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    No, it just happens. It's really just a nature thing, so go broody some don't...I don't think EE are really known for being broody either.

3. Kenneth Flippen

Kenneth Flippen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    try puttting dumby eggs or golf balls in her nest to make it look full. it worked for a game hen I had. but she was very broody if I wanted to set eggs all I had to do was put about 9 in her nest in a couple of days she would start. just a thought

Kenneth Flippen

4. Daidohead

Daidohead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Red Bluff, Ca
    9 egg shaped balls of duct tape ? might work ?

5. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    My broodiest is a little black bantam and a couple of my brahams. Maybe add a few broodier breeds to your flock. My dad raised exotic birds and used the broody hens to hatch along with an incubator. I will say the hens were easier and less fuss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by