Wanted; broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tarasa, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Tarasa

Tarasa New Egg

Dec 20, 2012
    I have 6 hens and a rooster. We want to hatch out some chicks but none of our girls are willing to sit. I think it would be fun to watch a hen sit and raise chicks. So here's my question; how do I get a broody hen now and then if I can find one how do I know if she is disease and parisite free?

2. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Well they go broody when they feel like it, but what you can try is leave the some eggs in the nest box..maybe they will try and sit. But if you want one right now, try banty chickens, those hens are like broody freaks lol get a banty hen and have her sit on some eggs, only thing is she will only be able to sit on like 3 or 4 if the eggs are large foul eggs.

As for knowing if she is diseased, if you get the new bird, place her in a pen by herself, you can check her for like lice and stuff or bugs by going through her feathers. Or you can just wait a while longer maybe one of your hens will go broody, pending on the breed and age they are i think.

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Get a Giant Cochin. They are walking, clucking incubators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by