Wanted: Cheap eggs to test incubator, any type of eggs welcome

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by GothChick, Oct 25, 2010.

1. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Hi,

I had really bad luck with my first batch of hatching eggs. I bought about $150 worth of eggs and ended up with only 11 eggs making it to lock-down. It was super upsetting so I want to do some test runs with it before I purchase anymore expensive eggs only to have them wasted. So if anyone out there would be willing to give me some eggs to "practice" hatching with it would be greatly appreciated. I am open to anything you might have chicken, quail, turkey, duck, etc. Also they don't need to be pure-bred. I have an uncle that live out on a large hobby farm and will take anything so they will all have a good home. Thanks soo much! Also I might have some stuff that I could trade for the eggs as well. I'm not sure what but I have a basement full of random stuff I don't use so you never know. Thanks again!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have some mixed LF and bantam eggs. My laying LF hens are a black cochin and a barred rock. The roosters are a black cochin/red phoenix mix and a barred rock, among a few others, but these are the 'kings'. Bantams are mostly OEGB (when I can find the eggs) and most of the bantam roos are also OEGB. $2 for 6+ eggs plus shipping is all I charge for these right now, they will go up once I get all my breeds separated.

I've also got 6 eggs from a (I think) rouen duck. I have 3 rouens (1 crested), 2 pekins, and 1 F&W runner ducks that free range with a rouen, 2 pekin (1 crested), and a blue runner drakes. These are $5 plus shipping.

I also have some button quail if you're interested in those, $10 including shipping for 12+ eggs.

My recently purchased black ameraucanas are laying already, 1 egg yesterday and 1 today. I can put a few of those eggs in any of the above sets.

3. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Ok great! Can you mix different eggs in an incubator? My current hatch is expected to hatch on the 27th so it would work out nice. By the time they would arrive my other eggs would be done. I would be interested in all of them if it's ok to mix the different kinds. Also I might have to wait till tomorrow or so because my paypal account got messed up. I ordered eggs from someone on here and they gave me the wrong price total and the wrong paypal address. So I sent the money and then they told me it was wrong. So I attempted to cancel the payment but it isn't working and I have no idea where that money went and I think paypal put a hold on my account. Urgh its a mess but they said it should be fixed by tomorrow. Thanks soooo much!

4. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

Quote:I woudln't generally mix duck and chicken eggs. Different humidity levels and incubation periods.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I mix duck and chicken eggs together all the time with no problems. The button quail eggs, if I were to mix those with any I'd mix them with ducks. The button eggs are so tiny that they dry out super fast, so they have to have higher (45-50%) humidity. The only other problem with mixing different species of eggs is that they will hatch at different times. Ducks take 26-28 days, most chickens take 20-21, and buttons take 16-18. So you'd have to keep that in mind as well. Though if you got all three [​IMG] the buttons would be big enough to 'hold their own' by the time the chicks hatched, and then both would be able to compete with the ducklings when they hatched a week later [​IMG]

6. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    That is a good point. They would also be scattered enough with the hatching that I could just take out the different ones as they hatch. It's really just a way for me to practice using my incubator anyway. Are ducks loud or messy? My current pets are almost all illegal so I have to hide them. [​IMG] Our city has an ordinance restricting people to only 3 total cats or dogs. We cant have reptiles, birds, rodents, exotic animals, nothing. It's the dumbest thing ever and they don't follow through with it. I'm just wondering about the ducks because I know I will be tempted to keep one or two for myself. LOL! I literally converted my basement into a huge indoor aviary. I planned to get some Mandarin Ducks someday because they are smaller but I'm haven't researched any other breeds. One of my friends rents one of our rooms and she almost bought a duckling at the last poultry swap we went to and was going to buy it diapers and keep it in her room.......... but she ended up buying a rabbit insted. [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Ducks are loud AND messy, though the females are the ones that are the loudest. They make a loud quack, the males sound like they've lost their voices. Button quail are kept indoors, so they'd be easy to hide [​IMG]
    I listed some button eggs on the 24-hour auction thread, those will go out tomorrow. So I wouldn't be able to get a full dozen of any of the eggs for a few days, but I could send a mixed dozen or two [​IMG]
    I've got 2 ducks using the same nest, so that's 1-2 eggs a day from them. Only 1 ameraucana is laying, and 4 buttons. I've got who knows how many other chickens laying, most of them are free rangers though. They seem to be hiding their eggs on me somedays, I get from 2-8 eggs a day [​IMG]

So whenever you're ready send me a message. I can do 12+ buttons, 6+ ducks, 6+ chickens or any combination [​IMG]

8. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I sent you a PM. Just checking to make sure you got it. For some reason my PM don't seem to be going through lately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by