1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanted-chicks for pick up in North Central MD/South Central PA

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by MD Chicken chic, Mar 2, 2009.

1. MD Chicken chic

MD Chicken chic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Maryland
    Hi! I just discovered BYC and it's full of so much great information! I love it.

I am starting a very small flock for eggs and I am looking to buy chicks, but I don't want to order from a hatchery because I only want about 4. I'm looking for a true Ameracauna, a Welsummer, a black Silkie, and maybe a Barred Rock. I like these breeds because I'm looking for the egg variety and I think they'll be nice birds to have as well. I live in north central maryland, very close to the PA border. Is there anyone who might have these kinds of chicks that I could pick up? I'm new at all this, although I grew up with Rhode Island Reds, so I don't know how to sex them and I only need pullets since I live in a neighborhood and I don't think my neighbors will appreciate a rooster. [​IMG] Can anybody help me? Thanks!

2. minifarm8

minifarm8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Hagerstown, MD
    Can't help you with the chickens but welcome. Where in MD are you? I live east of Hagerstown. I only have extra boys right now.
    They won't help you much. I was afraid of roosters causing havoc in the neighborhood but none of ours care. They actually like it! We are on 1.3 acres so not on top of each other.

Don't be surprised if you end up with a few more than 4!

3. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, but I dont have any of those breeds either, but I wanted to say "hi" because Im in Martinsburg, WV....about 15 min from Hagerstown so I dont think Im too far from either of you!! Also there will be a Chicken Stock (buy, sell, trade, observe chicks/chickens) here in Martinsburg at the local Tractor Supply on April 25th. Come check it out! You may find the breeds your looking for there! Nice to see someone so close!!!

4. chickenpea

chickenpea Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2007
    southern md
    I will have cuckoo marans and ameracaunas in 19 days.

5. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    [​IMG]

I PM'd you with what I have to offer....

6. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    [​IMG] I am in Berkeley Springs. I don't have any of those but I wanted to say howdy neighbor. Whereabouts are you?

7. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    [​IMG] I am in Berkeley Springs. I don't have any of those but I wanted to say howdy neighbor. Whereabouts are you?

8. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hi,
    I don't have any of those currently but I will keep my eye out. I am in Cecil County, Md so maybe not to far depending on where you are. [​IMG]

9. MD Chicken chic

MD Chicken chic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks for the warm welcomes and the help, everybody! I'm in Carroll County, MD. The town is town is Manchester, but people don't always know where that is cause it's small...it's about 15 minutes east of Westminster, 20 minutes south of Hanover, PA, and about an hour north of Baltimore. It's so nice to see that I have some neighbors. [​IMG] I was worried about getting chickens cause I don't really know what the codes are here, although I live in an area zoned agricultural. It's very rural, but I live in a neighborhood with houses on half acre lots, so I've got one on either side of me. I talked to my neighbors and they didn't say anything outright negative, but they did think getting chickens was rather "unusual". But, the one neighbor offered to give us some extra materials he had when we were building the run, so that's a good sign. It's very quiet around here so I don't want to press my luck with a rooster, although, I wouldn't mind having one myself. [​IMG]

Minifarm8, I would love to have more than four but my hubbie did not grow up a farm kid, like I did, and he's not too sure about the whole chicken thing. He's very worried that they will smell. He actually told me only 3, but he's gonna get 4, and once he sees them, I think he'll like them. He's got a soft heart for animals, although he wont' let you know that. [​IMG] I have been given strict instructions to clean the coop regularly because if it smells once, my little chicken farming thing is over. I think once he sees them, he'll really warm up to them. So, anyway, it's just the two of us, and if I get any more chickens, I'll end up overrun with eggs. Hehe.

Kryptoniteqhs, that's for the invitation to the Chickenstock. Martinsville is only a couple hours from me. I'd love to go! I'll put it on my calender. How do I find out more info?

I have lots of other questions, cause this is sort of new to me, but I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll go post them in the appropriate place. Thanks you all!

10. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have silkie chicks that were hatched last tuesday. Some whites and blacks. [​IMG] I could meet you in Hagerstown, MD.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by