Wanted: Chicks in Central TX

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by jhill1440, Feb 7, 2008.

1. jhill1440

jhill1440 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    Central Texas
    Hello,

I am looking for chicks in central texas. I am College Station which is 90 mins from Houston, 2hrs to Austin and 4hrs to Dallas. The local feed store has only Black X-link, while they are good I want a little variety. I only have room for a maximum 7 birds. Breeds I have been looking at are:
    Ameraucana, Orpington, RIR and New Hampshire. Other breeds would do but those would be my first choice.

Ordering chicks from a hatchery seems a little over kill as most need a minimum of 25 per order and then they must be all one breed or another charge is tacked on and then shipping is added to all that.

I know Ideal hatchery is only an hour from me and I have looked into them but I figured I would try here first.

Thanks

PS This is my first post but I have been lurking for a couple months trying to convince my DW to let us get a few chickens going in the backyard. This forum has been a great source if info to that purpose.

2. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Hi JHILL,
    Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it and all of the fine people on here. Glad to have you here with us.

I only wish I was 1 hour away from Ideal Poultry. To be so blessed. I am waiting for an order from them as we speak.

They do not have a minimum of 25 chick order. They do have a minimum of $20.00 or $25.00 purchase. And they have such a wide variety to choose from. I fail to see how you might avoid the minimum purchase if you plan on getting some chicks.

I don't think you can go wrong with Ideal or least that has been my experience.

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i'm driving through college station on the afternoon of feb 16th with some chicks in tow from a breeder up in dallas. the chicks will be straight run, though. we're having a meeting in waco. i should be driving through college station around 4pm.

they'll include rhode island whites, dominiques, delawares and a couple of others. if you join www . pet chickens of texas . com, i can sell them to you for $3 per chick. the site is a place where us texans sometimes get together and chat.

thanks.

michele

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  4. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    With Ideal being so close to you, that would mean that you could pick them up, so I imagine they would let you order just a few chicks.
    Even with you only wanting 7 chicks, I would recommend buying at least 10 anyways to make up for any losses you might have.

5. jhill1440

jhill1440 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    Central Texas
    Quote:That would be great but I do not want any roosters. I live in the city and don't want my neighbors complaining. Is there any way to sex them? I would be happy to buy the pullets. PM me and see if we can arrange something.

Thanks
    joshua

6. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    sent you a PM

7. idealpoultry

idealpoultry Official BYC Community Sponsor

Sep 25, 2007
    Cameron, TX
    Sent you a PM