Wanted- Chicks in Northern Maine

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by NurseNettie, Mar 4, 2008.

1. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Looking for chicks- primarily for laying/ small backyard flock. Moving to Northern Maine (Houlton Area) on March 7. Looking to bring in the babies anytime after March 10th. Any leads appreciated!

2. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Lucky! It's so beautiful up there! We traveled up to the northern part of Maine as often as we could just to see it before we got transferred down here to NC.

There was one guy near Poland Spring (I Know, pretty far down there) that used to have some really nice chickens for sale. I don't know if he's still there. It's been a while since we were up there. But he used to list birds for sale on Eggbid every spring at least.

I didn't live there long enough really to get to know about anyone else. I hope you really enjoy it and if you should happen to once in a while be able to take some beautiful pictures... send me one. [​IMG]

Stacy

3. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hi Nurse Nettie-
    Try calling one of the feed stores near Houlton (see list). Down here in the Portland area we have to pre-order chicks (ordering around now for April & May delivery) but maybe they don't require pre-ordering in more rural areas. I am SURE that someone wil have them. Down here, at least, 99% of the feed stores don't have them in March, though. They time them so that it'll be warm enough to put them outside when they're feathered in (June or July) -hence the later delivery dates. Anyway, give these folks a call.

feed store near Houlton, ME
    Feed Depot -
    102 Conant Rd, Easton, ME - (207) 488-9645

Agway -
    13 Rice St, Presque Isle, ME - (207) 764-3161

Aroostook Milling Co -
    15 Hillview Ave, Houlton, ME - (207) 532-6130

Aroostook Milling Co -
    Bangor Rd, Houlton, ME - (207) 532-6921

Lucerne Farms -
    Conant Rd, Fort Fairfield, ME - (207) 488-2520

Sussex Co-Op -
    Union, Sussex, NB E0E 1P0, Canada - (506) 432-1824

4. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Thanks Sea Chick=Now I've got a starting place!

5. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    You're welcome, I just did a google search for "feed store" and "Farn store", so it may be that some of those places are grain mills or whatever (sometimes the categories are not well-defined!) but my guess is that they can direct you to who'll have baby chicks, anyway.

You are going to have to keep them inside for quite a while though! We still have a couple feet of snow here on the coast, I'll bet you have 5x that up there!

I am so jealous you're moving up there. I would LOVE to but we can't be that far from my husband's work. Sigh. There are an awful lot of gorgeous, affordable farms up there. Lucky.

Stacey

6. howlingwoodsfarm

howlingwoodsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

welcome to northern maine,
    I live in Dover-Foxcroft about an hour south of Mooseheadlake. Like mentioned I would be surprised if a feed store had chicks before april. They normally get them from hatcheries and it is too cold to ship before then. I get mine to be delivered mid april and had no problem last year, lets hope this year will go ok. I am not sure what you are looking for but I have some girls hatched last year on april 16th that I could sell you. I have brown/white/green egg layers and they make a very nice dozen of eggs in the carton. how many were you looking for? I also will be hatching some chicks from my girls but they will be mix. rooster is a Barred Rock-girls are all breeds listed in my signature. Let me know if atall interested. I know how hard it is to find anyone in maine, let alone northern maine who sells chickens.(I think they are out there, but they don't advertise so it is hard to find them).

Heather

7. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Thanks Howling-- would you PM me so I can "remember" you once we move? We might be interested in buying some from you once we get there and get the coop situation settled!!!! ( anyone else who wants to PM me to remind me - would be appreciated too!) I should have internet back by the end of next week, I hope!!! ( won't have it after Thursday this week and by the time we get it back, I'm sure this thread will be buried and I'll forget who I've talked to!)

8. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Hi NurseNettie,

Did you find your chicks yet?

New member here and new to Maine, too. I'm down in Oxford County, Maine and I have some Buff Chantecler pullet chicks that I'm looking to find a good home for. Hatched on March 26 at Ideal Poultry in Texas. I've got 25 of them and can only keep 6 or 8 of them in my backyard flock. I can part with perhaps a dozen now.

They're 4 days old now and seem to be healthy little eating/sleeping/pooping machines. I've raised this breed before and they are calm, friendly birds. (I had one that used to hop up on my lap when I let them out to run the yard in the evenings.) They were originally bred in Quebec and have very small combs and do well in cold weather (which you are probably already finding out about in your new home.) Mid-sized breed, brown egg layers.

They look like the one in the avatar to the left. That was my old rooster, the late, great Buster The Chick Magnet.)

If you're interested, they're ready to travel. Not looking to make money on them but would accept a few dollars to partially offset expenses. (Or trade for New Zealand bunnies or perhaps old gardening tools or homemade jam. The possibilities are endless. Just not more chickens.)

I'll send a PM in case you're not seeing the thread.

Wayne

9. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Waynesgarden-- I PM'd you!

10. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I am looking for chicks in Central Maine - I'm in Fairfield. I am looking for 3-4 hens to try out in my backyard chicken tractor.

Anyone know where to get just a few?

Louella

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by