wanted: chicks in SF north bay... (or share an order?)

farmergal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Nor Cal
Hi all,

Is anyone selling little ones in the north bay (Sonoma County)? I'm looking for 7-8 pullets to fill out my flock (now that I've built them a nice big coop and can fit a few more). The current ages I have going are 2 weeks, 6 weeks, and 10 weeks, so any birds that would fit in with those general age groups would be great... (Although slight preference for younger birds, since the 10 weekers are pretty set in their social structure now.)

I can't decide whether I should just order 25 birds from Belt for their last hatch of the year tomorrow, and try to sell the extra 15... but if there are any BYCers nearby, I'd much rather buy from you!

My current ideas: BO, BR, Australorp, RIR, even WL... EEs... but I'm pretty flexible, and get ridiculously excited about ANY new breed of chicken. I'm such an addict. If you have any dark egg layers (Welsumers, Cuckoo Marans) I'd pretty much bring you dinner too, but I know that's a long shot this time of year!

thanks!
Lynda

Hi Farmergirl

We got a laying hen from the Poultry Palace in Cotati last week. She posts on craigslist - even if she doesn't have a new post up, you can search for her and give her a call. She has quite a variety of chickens - from the breeder through laying age. We are happy with our new hen.

I actually have 3 keets and 3 chicks from her right now... they're all doing really well (except one runt keet who I hope will pull through)... but the chicks were all supposed to be buff orps, and at this point, I think only one of them is. (I got home and realized that one had the wrong type of comb--maybe it's a buff chant?-- and now that they're getting more secondary feathers, another is speckled and darker.)
But maybe that's the best way to go if nobody else has anything... darn it, I really need to get a brooder so I can buy eggs from folks instead of trying to find chicks!
As soon as I save up enough money... sigh.

Back
Top Bottom